What's your favoutite gangster film???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
The French Connection as suggested by ThreeBikesMcGinty.
"Narrow Margin" also with Gene Hackman.

And "The Lady Killers", possibly made before some people on here were born, :biggrin::ohmy: and possibly not a Gangster Movie in the true sense, but it was still a gang. :biggrin::smile:

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Lady Killers - great stuff.

Surely we get to have The Lavender Hill Mob too then - vicious gangsters
them!
'Wrong Arm of the Law' as well.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
threebikesmcginty said:
Lady Killers - great stuff.

Surely we get to have The Lavender Hill Mob too then - vicious gangsters
them!
'Wrong Arm of the Law' as well.

Right, I have The Lady Killers and Narrow Margin on DVD, and the Lavender Hill Mob, have you got the French Connection - oh er, shall I rephrase that?

Wolf04

Not a bad suggestion in the entire thread just goes to show the place the gangster movie has in modern cinema. Another favourite of mine John Cassavetes, Lee Marvin and Angie Dickinson in The Killers.

U

User169

palinurus said:
Best one I've seen recently was Gomorrah (2008).

Not seen the film, but read the book.

There's an interesting aside where a policeman blames modern ganster movies, specifically pulp fiction, for a decline in shooting skills of the camorra. Apparently, the number of leg injuries went up as young aspiring gansters imitated Samuel L Jackson - shooting downwards rather than straight.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Wolf04 said:
Not a bad suggestion in the entire thread just goes to show the place the gangster movie has in modern cinema. Another favourite of mine John Cassavetes, Lee Marvin and Angie Dickinson in The Killers.

Absolutely! An added bonus is that Ronald Reagan features as a villain. Actually, Lee Marvin did some great films. How about Prime Cut?

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Yellow Fang said:
My favourites are Reservoir Dogs and Sexy Beast, both of which are more like theatre than film.

Oh yes Sexy Beast is a great film, very funny too - great acting from Sir Ben, Ray Winstone and Ian McShane who puts in a great performance!

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
threebikesmcginty said:
Oh yes Sexy Beast is a great film, very funny too - great acting from Sir Ben, Ray Winstone and Ian McShane who puts in a great performance!

Fantastic acting by everyone.

Ben Kingsley played a different type of gangster in a film called Bugsy, starring Warren Beatty. He played crime boss Meyer Lansky. For a small man, he was absolutely chilling.

Top Bottom