Wheel advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hicky

Guru
Right I know it’s almost done to death however I’d like some advice/convincing on a new set of wheels for the Van Nic.
It was on Mavis aksiums which have been reasonable, I’ve got 32 hole hand built wheels open sports on tiagra hubs with sapim butted spokes. Both front wheels are similar weights +900grams, I didn’t do the rears.....that’s the current situation....I’m after some new ones for a little bling and a bit more speed.
I’m considering the new Ksyrum(sp) elite ust with the weird rim shape or handbuilts on red hope hubs....tell me what I should get.....

I can't tell you what you should get but I can advise what you shouldn't. Red Hope Hubs (or any colour variation thereof).

D

Deleted member 22722

I recently bought a pair of Ksyrium Elites and I've been very impressed with them for the money. The build quality is fantastic and they look very nice. Running them tubeless and they roll very nice and are very comfy.

I hate Aksiums with a passion. Heavy & slow. They almost put me off buying any other Mavic wheels. The Ksyrium's and Aksium's are a world apart. If they fall within your budget I don't think you'll regret the decision. Just be aware they don't come with quick release skewers since they come set up for thru-axle, however they do include the adaptors to make the QR compatible. I can also recommend the Mavic wheel skewers. Very nice quality and the best i've owned (other than a pair of Dura Ace ones that I had with a pair of C24's).

That’s a no for the hopes...? Any reason why?

Plenty reasons.
1) The freehub body is made from aluminium and loose sprockets (even cassettes have one or two loose sprockets) eat into it and you then cannot remove the sprocket other than with force and cunning. You frequently have to replace the freehub body. Stainess steel bodies are available but cost extra.
2) Two of the bearings in the rear hub are proprietary.
3) It uses cartridge bearings throughout which slide onto aluminium axles. Cartridge bearings are rubbish in hubs and cartridge bearings which side on aluminium axles eventually eat the axle.
4) The rear hub is bloody loud and obnoxious.
5) The hubs are CNC machined, not forged.
6) The bearings don't last long. Cup and cone bearings last longer and are easier to service.
7) The bearings cannot be pre-loaded because the axle design is pretty crude. Therefore you sometimes end up with wheels which have a slight bit of lash in them.
8) The springs in the freewheel ratchet bear pretty frequently and are expensive for what they are - shorts pieces of carbon steel ribbon.
9) They are overpriced but no-one actually notices because they are pretty in their many colours.

They have some virtue:

1) Lots of colours.
2) Parts are readily available
3) The axles convert easily to various formats from QR to TA to all the variants of TA.

OP
OP
Hicky

Hicky

Guru
Thanks for the detailed advice Yellow Saddle.
Milzy, I would say I’m not a chubber but at 83kg(heaviest I’ve been for a while and not much longer) I couldn’t see a weight limit.

dhd.evans

Veteran
Right I know it’s almost done to death however I’d like some advice/convincing on a new set of wheels for the Van Nic.
It was on Mavis aksiums which have been reasonable, I’ve got 32 hole hand built wheels open sports on tiagra hubs with sapim butted spokes. Both front wheels are similar weights +900grams, I didn’t do the rears.....that’s the current situation....I’m after some new ones for a little bling and a bit more speed.
I’m considering the new Ksyrum(sp) elite ust with the weird rim shape or handbuilts on red hope hubs....tell me what I should get.....

I have a pair of Aksiums i run day to day; they're fine, run true and are nice for training.

I have a set of Ksyrium Elite USTs as my 'best' wheels. They are absolutely the best wheels i have ever owned, and this is coming from a former diehard Fulcrum fan. Anyway, when the Ksyriums die i'm going to go out and buy a set of Cosmics.

Drago

Legendary Member
I've tried 'em all, the Mavic stuff ending in "ium", R500s, all sorts, and the only manufacturer that could provide decent, lightweight wheels that didn't need constant spoke fiddling to compensate for the hammering my weight gives them is DT Swiss.

OP
OP
Hicky

Hicky

Guru
Holey thread revival.......well, my handbuilts finally bit the bullet. I put the bike away one afternoon and the following morning came to ride to work and have a snapped spoke and a very bent wheel. I've had it into the shop who built it and its borked beyond repair. He guesses something has been dropped on it. My guess is one of the kids has wholloped it with a scooter and kept shtum.
I've asked the tiagra hubs be re laced onto new rims(halo evaura) with new sapim race spokes(32 hole). just a smidge over two hundred sheckles for the lot.
I'd get something more bling but two new tyres and a starter motor for the Ms xtrail put a dent into the dream :laugh:
Hopefully the 19mm rims make the tyres less mushroom shaped and I'll get slightly more room in the forks and a nicer profile....all shiney silver too.:becool:

Top Bottom