Wheel alignment in forks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gixxerman

Guru
I took my rear wheel out to fix a p*.
When I put the wheel back in, it kept catching on the brake blocks on one side. Why is this? I haven't moved the brake block positions from the time of taking the wheel out and putting it back in again. I can stop it from catching by altering the the ammount the spindle sits in the groove in the frame. However, when the spindle is pushed all the way in the frame grove, it catches the brakes. Is it acceptable to have the spindle not all the way into the frame grove? Or should I push it all the way in and then adjust me brake clearences accordingly. BTW, this is the first time the wheel have been removed since the bike was new.

Mr Pig

Two possibilities. One is that the brakes are off center and need adjusted. Two is that the dropouts are uneven or the frame not true, sounds unlikely but I've seen it on a brand new bike.

Forget the brake. Put the wheel tight into the dropouts and look at the wheel position in the frame just behind the bottom bracket. It should be in the center. If it is, adjust the brakes. If it isn't, take the bike back!

gwhite

Über Member
It may be better to place the wheel in the forks and then tighten the spindle with your weight on the bars. This should ensure the wheel is centred in the forks. I can happen that the drop-outs are not correctly aligned throwing the wheel off-centre, but this can be checked with the proper tool at the bike shop.

I am Spartacus

Über Member
Centering (Dishing)

Rims should be exactly centered between the axle nuts. To check this you can use either a dishing tool, or your frame to check the measurement on each side.

If the rim is off-center, pull it in either direction by equally tightening all of the spokes on one side 1/4 turn, and loosening all of the spokes on the other. Then check the alignment again and repeat the process until the rim is centered.

I just had same issue

Top Bottom