wheel and tyre sizes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Plax

Guru
Is there any way to tell what range of tyre sizes that you wheel can take?
I have 700 x 32 sized tyres.
On the rim of my wheel it says "19-622/603 ERD".
Could I get a narrower tyre?

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Assuming the "19" is rim width, the narrowest would be 28, according to Sheldon;

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html (see the red/green coloured chart).

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
They are WTB wheels (touring bike). Good to know I could get 28s if I fancied it then. Saves buying a racing bike I suppose...........

I can't see any size on my hybrid's wheels. Any way to work that out? It has 700 x 38s on it. Same gearing as the tourer, but not as fast (I'm always a couple of minutes slower on it on the way into work and about 5 minutes slower on the way home from work when using that hybrid) I suspect due to the bigger tyre size. Would be handy to be able to get slimmer tyres when the existing ones wear out.

hubgearfreak

Über Member
the rolling resistance of a tyre isn't a function of it's width alone.

high quality wide tyres will roll faster than cheap narrow ones...and cheap narrow ones will offer considerably less comfort

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Plax, fwiw I swapped my Pioneer Elite's 38c tyres for Schwalbe City Jets (32c).

It's still not a fast bike by any stretch (steel frame, and a heavy one at that) but the City Jets are much better than the knobblies it came with.

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
John the Monkey said:
Plax, fwiw I swapped my Pioneer Elite's 38c tyres for Schwalbe City Jets (32c).

It's still not a fast bike by any stretch (steel frame, and a heavy one at that) but the City Jets are much better than the knobblies it came with.

I've got a new pair of Marathon 700 x 32 in the spare room ready to put on the tourer. Very tempted tomorrow to put the new Marathons on the tourer, and the old Marathons from the tourer onto the hybrid (still plenty of life left in them) and see what happens. Hopefully the inner tubes aren't too big though.....

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
Okay just to bore you with an update.
The wheels on the hybrid are the same size as the wheels on my tourer, which is quite handy.

I spent the morning putting the new Marathons on the tourer and the old Marathons on the hybrid. Only one of my schraeder inner tubes was the right size for 700 x 32 tyres (the other two I had were 35s - 40 something).

Halfrauds and the LBS didn't have any schraeder inner tubes in stock for 700 x 32 only presta*. Not to be put off I decided to use one of my presta inner tubes anyway. Seems to be working perfectly fine. As the hybrid wheel is drilled to accept schrader valves, I've "padded" around the presta valve with tissue to minimise any potential valve movement and then put electrical table around it to stop any dirt getting in. Took it out for an 8 miler and didn't have any problems. So this set up should cover me until my new inner tubes arrive.

*having looked at the tag that came with the new Marathons it says 32-622, 28x1.25 700x32c on it. Does that mean 28x1.25 schraeder inner tubes would do? I take it that is the measurement used for MTBs.

Top Bottom