wheel axle looks bent second opinion wanted !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
A copy of the image so that folks don't have to follow the link:

Something definitiely wrong there. It looks bent to me - possibly even broken.

Take the axle out, use a straightedge to see if it’s straight.
Also think some bearings are not in place, take out axle and clean everything,
you will need to in any case.

keithmac

Guru
I did my lads recently, there we 9 ball bearings on each side, 1/4 inch diameter.

Might as well replace the bearings while your in there cleaning and greasing.

Genuinely surprised your wheel didn't have any play in it!.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Solid spindles are prone to bending,
Maybe they are (are they more prone to do so than hollow ones, I wonder?), but this is an axle: it doesn't 'spin', unlike a bottom bracket spindle
Take the axle out, use a straightedge to see if it’s straight.
Also think some bearings are not in place, take out axle and clean everything,
you will need to in any case.
This ^^^ Rolling it on a flat surface or against a window (say) is an alternative. If the axle isn't bent, great: the OP has serviced their hub (if needed, bearings (ie balls) are cheap). If it is, just need to procure another (and new bearings, maybe) and fit.

It's bent AF.

Also, as a consequence of being ridden on the bent axle has (I absolutely guarantee it) demolished the bearing races within the hub. It's new wheel time.

Also, as a consequence of it bending that axle has bent your drop-outs (the drive side drop-out much worse than the non-drive side). Before you install a new wheel you MUST have the drop-outs re-aligned by a competent mechanic using a drop-out alignment tool. If you don't fix the bent drop-outs, when you fit a new wheel the new axle will be placed under a pre-load by the bent drop-outs and you'll be back on here asking; 'Why do I keep bending axles?'

Last edited:
Top Bottom