Wheel Bearing, Grease and Cup & Cone adjustment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
I have just serviced a Shimano hub and I repacked the bearings with some of this grease
It took me a while to find it and I thought it would be very good for wheel bearings :rolleyes:

It's probably a little too thick ( NLGI Grade 2) although it has the right properties but I do notice a difference in the rolling resistance compare to a similar hub. (Hubs have not been built into wheels yet) so turning the hubs by hand. One, with original Shimano grease, feels easy to turn while the other just packed with the mentioned grease feels a bit harder to turn.

I've done a bit of search on the Net and although some people say the aim is to protect the bearings and thicker protects better I'm in need of reassurances ^_^. The grease itself seem to be good for the application but a little too thick.

I read this article and this one it seems the original Shimano grease is about between 0 and 1 NLGI grade.

I'm thinking to get some of this grease next. Any thoughts?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Depends what you mean by "A bit" harder to turn. I'd probably just forget it and I doubt if you would notice difference on a fully built wheel once you're rolling.

sittingbull

Veteran
Can't comment on those types of grease used but maybe your recently packed hub will "run in" and the hub will spin a little more freely.

I've looked into grease types previously and marine grease is mentioned fairly often, such as here and here.

I use relatively small amounts of grease so concluded I'd buy the bicycle specific brands and routinely check everything was running smoothly :smile:

OP
OP
Spoked Wheels

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Depends what you mean by "A bit" harder to turn. I'd probably just forget it and I doubt if you would notice difference on a fully built wheel once you're rolling.

You are probably right.

A bit harder to turn by hand, it still turns smoothly but it takes a little more effort. I'm sure it has to do with the viscosity of the grease.

OP
OP
Spoked Wheels

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Can't comment on those types of grease used but maybe your recently packed hub will "run in" and the hub will spin a little more freely.

I've looked into grease types previously and marine grease is mentioned fairly often, such as here and here.

I use relatively small amounts of grease so concluded I'd buy the bicycle specific brands and routinely check everything was running smoothly :smile:

Yes, the grease I'm using can be use for marine applications too. It's definitely good stuff.

I find bicycle specific brands a bit of a rip off. They don't perform any better than car or marine grease. You just need to look out for the properties you need, ie. waterproof

It's quite likely than when the hub is a in a fully built wheel I wont even notice the difference :smile:

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Whilst no expert, I am "technically aware" as it were, and my view is if you use (any old) grease where grease is called for (eg bearings), and any old oil where oil is called for (eg chains) and anti sieze eg coppaslip for things that need to be undone later - and conversely low strength threadlocker for when things mustn't come undone - you;ll not got far wrong. The above might sound a bit complicated, but isn't really - but it is, in my view, overcomplicating and / or being ripped off to worry unduly about exactly the right sort of grease or oil

Whatever grease you use will make absolutely no real world difference to how well the wheels roll. In cycling terms, there is rarely - if ever - such a thing as the 'wrong grease'.
This is probably the rightest thing I've read in weeks.

OP
OP
Spoked Wheels

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
Whatever grease you use will make absolutely no real world difference to how well the wheels roll. In cycling terms, there is rarely - if ever - such a thing as the 'wrong grease'.
Maybe not in cycling terms but in maintenance and reliability terms some greases are better than others and that was my main concern when looking for the mentioned grease.
^_^ I once used butter on the chain as an emergency ride home after I got caught in the rain. I was well aware that another bit of rain and the chain would be without any lubrication again but I got lucky.

Thanks for all the comments.

Top Bottom