Wheel bearings worn out

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paul04

Über Member
Cycling home the other night, and I thought I had a flat tyre. checked the rear tyre and it was fine, tried to ride the bike again, and the back wheel would not turn, checked it again and noticed the wheel was very loose, so a long walk home.

On closer inspection, the hub has more or less worn out. no ball bearing left in there, this is a short video of the wheel.( bit dark as it was taken in the shed)

View: http://youtu.be/6ajXkP42zSY

I cant believe it got to that stage without you noticing it, how could it shift correctly? I once purchased a childs bicycle froma department store. It came missing some bearings, rather than return it I fixed and it lasted for 2 years. Never bought a cheap bicycle for anyone after that.

OP
OP
paul04

paul04

Über Member
I cant believe it got to that stage without you noticing it, how could it shift correctly? I once purchased a childs bicycle froma department store. It came missing some bearings, rather than return it I fixed and it lasted for 2 years. Never bought a cheap bicycle for anyone after that.

I did feel the rear wheel start to wobble and I thought it was a puncture at 1st,
The bike has done well, over 5000 miles for a £99 bike is good value.

Tynan

Veteran
I ride my parts into the ground, usually because i really don't want to spend any money

The last time the bike went in to LBS they told me the rear hub was 'absolutely farked', when asked for a more technical explanation, that was repeated with emphasis

Still riding it three months later, it feels a bit odd from time to time but that might be the kick in the wheel, or the glorious London surfaces

a £99 bike :ohmy:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
New bearings may fix it, if the bearing surfaces aren't shot. A new wheel may be a better bet. Good luck, getting that much out of the bicycle. Obviously a good job on a good day. Some of these cheap bikes around here have had some stupendous and catastrophic failures, of late.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
New bearings may fix it, if the bearing surfaces aren't shot. A new wheel may be a better bet. Good luck, getting that much out of the bicycle. Obviously a good job on a good day. Some of these cheap bikes around here have had some stupendous and catastrophic failures, of late.

True. Better to look at a new wheel if that's the case, or a cheap Shimano Tiagra hub (spokes may not be compatible so new spokes may need to be added into the cost).

£99 bikes can last. It depends. Worth getting the front hub and BB checked out soon too as I would imagine they're at risk of the same failure. If the front hub locks up (check it for side-play soon!) it could get nasty as said above

OP
OP
paul04

paul04

Über Member
True. Better to look at a new wheel if that's the case, or a cheap Shimano Tiagra hub (spokes may not be compatible so new spokes may need to be added into the cost).

£99 bikes can last. It depends. Worth getting the front hub and BB checked out soon too as I would imagine they're at risk of the same failure. If the front hub locks up (check it for side-play soon!) it could get nasty as said above

I am going to get a new wheel, can pick one up for £30, and just put my cassette back on it. I will check over the front hub, and make sure that is ok.

Leaway2

Lycrist
I cleaned and re-packed my rear wheel bearing this weekend as it was showing a bit of play, but wow, that is loose :laugh:

Haha! I thought you were meaning a couple of millimeters of play in the wheel - then I watched the video! That's impressive!!!

OP
OP
paul04

paul04

Über Member
I replace the freewheel cassette, chain and chainset at 3500miles as the teeth on most of the cogs had worn out. and as I wanted more speed, the chainset was a 42t, changed that to a 48t which did made a difference.

This was the old rear cassette (changed at 3500 miles)
20130707_085545cogs.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom