Wheel bearings

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Seems the ones on the front wheel of a set I got are shot ( wheel wobble) can they be replaced? Of so how much would a lbs charge?

Thanks

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Yes they can but depending on the type of hubs they can also be adjusted. What hub is it?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Easy to replace or adjust be they cup/cone (like in video above) or sealed cartridge.

The only caveat is that with cup/cone, the race or the cone can get pitted so you'll not get completely smooth spinning with new bearings. With cartridge the 'bearing unit' is replaced.

Any pic of the hub/axel and we can tell you which type.

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
Here we go. Thanks in advance guys

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1336307430415.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1336307430415.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 55

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Pretty Sure They are cup and cone, but pic too far away. Can you take wheel off and take a close up of the hub ends. There should be flats on both washers for cone scanners to fit, plenty of on line resources to show.

I would only undo one side, undo outer nut whilst other cone spanner holds the cone. Then unscrew from axel, and inspect the bearings, re grease, and re assemble. Leave a tiny amount of play as this is taken up when the QR or nuts are done up.

May take a few goes to get the sweet spot of a tiny amount of play.

OP
OP
gb155

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
I fail. eye's ain't gonna cut it. I'll get my LBS on the case

Thanks anyways peeps

D

Deleted member 1258

Had the LBS change the bearings, cartridge, on the front wheel of my fixed, cost me £18.

Top Bottom