Wheel - Broken Spoke - advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Hi,

I broke a spoke on my rear wheel non-drive side on the way home today. Unfortunately LBS haven't got a slot until next Thursday but advised it's probably ok to carry on using. It's a Mavic Open rim on Shimano 105 hub, 36 spoke racing wheel.

I'm tempted to risk it, does anyone have any advice for or against? I do 20 miles a day on it

Ta

Grasen

if it rubs on the brakes tweek it a bit (about 2 spokes on each side of the missing one so the wheel is more or less straight)
you could use the wheel without spokes for years (have a look at some of the bmx bikes that the kids ride on)

Moodyman

Legendary Member
As you've got a 36 spoke wheel, you could get away for a while if you're careful about avoiding potholes, though, I'm large and heavy, so would not risk it.

Having said that, I've got a chain whip, cassete remover and spare spokes at home so can sort it myself anytime.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
At the moment the wheel still seems to be true, it's certainly not rubbing anyway. I've taped the spoke to it's nearest neighbour.

I'm a bit of a big bloke too so I avoid pot holes religiously since I broke a frame last year.

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll risk it. If another spoke goes or the wheel goes out of true I suppose I'll have to get a train for a few days:sad:

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Er - remove cassette, replace spoke yourself?

Easy to do, but you need special tools which Martin might not have.

Tynan

Veteran
no-one hits potholes on purpose do they?

longers

Legendary Member
If it's non drive side then the cassette doesn't need to come off.
Unless I'm being really dense here.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
Tynan said:
no-one hits potholes on purpose do they?

I know but I really do avoid them avidly. I'd say I know where every one is on my way to work. Breaking a frame was a bit of a shock to me as I thought they were fairly unbreakable.

Anyway thanks for all the advice. I know it's a simple job in theory to replace the spoke myself and I do have lots of tools (present from someone who doesn't realise my ability) but you've got to factor in my cack-handedness. Anything more complicated than a change of tyre and it will cost me much more to get it fixed than it will do just to get the LBS to fit a new spoke. :biggrin:

rh100

longers said:
If it's non drive side then the cassette doesn't need to come off.
Unless I'm being really dense here.

Had to take it off for mine, spoke didn't seem to want to bend around past the cassette, maybe I wasn't brave enough to bend it that far :sad:

Top Bottom