Wheel building workshop

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Have you used that tutorial for re-rimming?
I stress that I have, as yet neither re-rimmed or built from scratch, but I had the idea that if re-rimming it was a good idea to gradually shift existing spokes from the old rim to the new one - ie - so you are just copying/duplicating the original (including seating of spoke heads into any rim marks) . But he seems to take the whole lot out so that, before starting to rebuild, he just has a rim and a bucket full of bits. I am afraid that with my track record on bike tinkering that might be a bit risky.

Views?
No, I've not done a re-rimming, but if I was I'd treat it as a complete wheel build, just as in the vid. You can always use another similar wheel for reference, it would ad confidence in the early stages of the 'art'. One thing I would say is I've got to be in the right 'frame of mind' to do a wheel build, which in itself is hard to quantify. Certainly, I need to be relaxed and in need of something to give the old noggin a bit of a workout, and look to build over several stages is a good idea for a first build. Using an old scrap wheel should remove a lot of fear, as it really owes you nothing, and could provide hours of enjoyment learning a new skill. Good luck :okay:

Ajax Bay

Guru
I've not done a re-rimming
Using an old scrap wheel should remove a lot of fear
I understand you're trying to address the 'fear' aspect, but I recommend that riders build a wheel that they will want to ride, and can look forward to the pleasure, satisfaction and assurance of riding a wheel THEY have made. You're not going to damage anything - hub, spokes, rim if you get something wrong. If at first you don't succeed . . . try, try again. (Or go down to your (capable) LBS and they can build it with the parts you have chosen/procured.)
As an aside, I think that re-rimming (see my post above) is a good way to remove any 'fear' - once complete and you have a true wheel that's the hard part done. Then building a wheel from scratch is just about getting the spokes in the right configuration and repeating what you did on the re-rimming.
I think Sheldon's article is required reading:
https://sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html

Last edited:
Top Bottom