Wheel Building

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dale 1956

I finish building my first rear wheel today it only took me three days I don't have much time to work on it but it sure did make me feel good to be able to build my own wheel it's a Sunringle MTX39 rim with the Shimano FH-M756 XT and DT Swiss spokes black. I have always wanted to build my own wheel and it's not has hard as I once thought it would be to build.With Youtube and Park tools it was easy to build.Now I want to build my front wheel but I'm not sure if I want a Gen hub or the hub that will match my rear hub.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I finish building my first rear wheel today it only took me three days I don't have much time to work on it but it sure did make me feel good to be able to build my own wheel it's a Sunringle MTX39 rim with the Shimano FH-M756 XT and DT Swiss spokes black. I have always wanted to build my own wheel and it's not has hard as I once thought it would be to build.With Youtube and Park tools it was easy to build.Now I want to build my front wheel but I'm not sure if I want a Gen hub or the hub that will match my rear hub.
Congratulations. Wheelbuilding is a good skill to have. Pictures?

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I have always wanted to build my own wheel and it's not has hard as I once thought it would be to build.

Yep. I find the main skill required for wheelbuilding is patience. The first time I tried it, I rushed it a bit and it didn't go well. So I started again, was a lot more patient and achieved much better results. Still wouldn't call myself an experienced wheelbuilder but I've done a few and feel it's a great skill to have in my repertoire.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
What do you use to gauge the wheel to make sure its straight?

A wheel-truing stand has guides for this purpose. You can buy one, or make your own.

I have one of these: http://www.minoura.jp/english/tool-e/ft1-e.html

ft1.jpg

The curved red arms measure lateral trueness, the middle bit measures radial trueness. (Is 'trueness' even a word? Do I mean 'truth'?)

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The wheelbuilder in my local bike shop built a wheel while shooting the breeze with me yesterday.

He does several a week, but it didn't look that difficult.

Handy skill for him to have - a bike mechanic who can build wheels should never be out of a job.

I have two sets.

One built by Spa Cycles.

Another set very well built up by Jim (I think it was) at Compton Cycles in Catford - using some XT hubs that I had from worn rims.

Both pairs never caused me the slightest trouble.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
How many people ride handbuilts now? A small minority I should think.

I have one set on my hybrid built by someone at Broadribbs in Bicester.

Which, coincidentally is about 40 miles away, and I have found out today that the bloke opposite me used to work there and has a wheel truing stand that he’s going to lend me.

Top Bottom