??? Wheel Conundrum! Help... ???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SirDickieBird

I have two bikes - Ribble and Planet X
I have two wheelsets - Hunt and RS11

Ribble bike with Hunt gives me a creaking / clicking noise when pedaling uphill out of the saddle.

Put the Hunt wheel on the planet x - no noise.
Put the RS11 wheel on the Ribble - no noise.
Put the Hunt wheel back on the Ribble - noise.

I'd assumed the noise was the wheel as first I just replaced the wheel on the RIbble but then I tried the suspect wheel on the Planet X and there's no noise on that so it can't be the wheel on its own.
Any ideas? Got me stumped. Swapping the skewers at the same time so all that is changing is the wheel (with cassette etc...).

Are Hunt wheels brand new and bedding in?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
You may find it's the skewer that's making the noise, rather than the wheel. I've a pair of titanium skewers that do that and spent hours trying to find the creak.

It sounds like there’s a tolerance oddity with the Hunt Wheel and the Ribble dropouts. Try putting some bike grease on the dropouts with the Hunt wheel in. The frame could also be working the Hunt wheel slightly differently. So put some lube on the points where the spokes of the Hunt wheel cross each other. It’s never a bad idea to lube the skewer also.

Venod

Eh up
Are you changing the cassette as well ? if not it could be the chain on the Ribble clicking on the cassette on the Hunt wheels, try the chain off the PX on the Ribble with the Hunt wheels. try swapping the cassettes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SirDickieBird

SirDickieBird

It's the rear. I'll try a different cassette on the Hunt wheel on the Ribble and see if that makes any difference but can't see why it would if the wheel&cassette aren't making a noise on the PX.

It's frustrating...

Thanks for the suggestions.

Top Bottom