Wheel dilema.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

astrocan

Veteran
I have an audax frame that I am building up into a do anything go anywhere sort of beast. Think relaxed cyclocross type thing and that would be about it. I am struggling with the wheels. I want them to be durable so MTB / CX hubs would seem to be the way to go as they have to have disc mounts. but they also need to be compatible with a campag casette. Can I get a campag freehub body to fit on any hub?
I can get a wheel built so if anyone could suggest a good hub / rim combo then that could also be useful.
Thanks

boydj

Legendary Member
Hope Pro2 hubs with Archetype rims are what I had built up for my Croix de Fer last year. Cost me about £350, which I thought was good value for the quality of the wheels. Kinesis do a couple of CX wheels and there are CX wheels from other manufacturers on the market too.

I have an audax frame that I am building up into a do anything go anywhere sort of beast. Think relaxed cyclocross type thing and that would be about it. I am struggling with the wheels. I want them to be durable so MTB / CX hubs would seem to be the way to go as they have to have disc mounts. but they also need to be compatible with a campag casette. Can I get a campag freehub body to fit on any hub?
I can get a wheel built so if anyone could suggest a good hub / rim combo then that could also be useful.
Thanks
No, you can't get a Campag body to fit on any hub. For instance, Shimano, for some reason, don't do Campag bodies even though Campag does Shimano. You'll have to go for one of the independent wheel manufacturers like Mavic. The previous poster mentioned Hope, but I am not sure if Hope does Campag and road bike disc mount.. Does it?
Keep in mind that road bike rear wheel spacing is 130mm whereas MTB wheels are 135 or more, so you are really limited to road hubs. The fact that you want disc brakes limits your choices.

boydj

Legendary Member
Hope hubs can be bought with either Shimano or Campag freewheel.

Road / CX bikes built for disc brakes have 135mm rear spacing.

Top Bottom