Wheel help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Brewer

Shed Dweller
I hit a big pot hole a couple of weeks back and got a snake bite puncture and it buckled the wheel slightly. I adjusted the spokes and all was okay for about 200miles, then I seemed to hit another pot hole and it snapped a spoke. I replaced the spoke and spent a good hour truing the wheel, but I now seem to have up and down movement (oh er mrs:whistle:)

I guess I'm going to have to loosen everything off and start again...any tips

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I would get the LBS to check ifthe rim is still in reasonable nick, i had a similar experience and even though i had the wheel respoked you could see the rim was not round and feel it a bit so in the end i got a new wheel, if its a good wheel might be cheaper to get a new rim.

When you say up and down movement, are you referring the the spoke moving up and down or the actual wheel?

Also take a pic of the pothole you hit and try getting something out of your local highways authority.

OP
OP
The Brewer

The Brewer

Shed Dweller
The rim is going up and down as if its move an oval. Thanks for the tip about the taking a pic, worth a try:thumbsup:
Very skint at the moment so it kind of rules out a trip to the LBS....but how how roughly would they charge for a wheel true

YahudaMoon

Über Member
LBS £5 - £10 or hours doing it yourself ? (Not London prices)

I do most my bike maintenance though Im useless with buckled wheels

OP
OP
The Brewer

The Brewer

Shed Dweller
Spent a couple of hours this morning making things worse :sad:

I've put the cassette on an old Shimano wheel and will get the Easton wheel fixed soon

amaferanga

Veteran
When truing a wheel you need to work on lateral and radial true-ness. Sounds like you've just been working on it laterally and have goosed the radial true-ness. If you want to learn how to do it properly then Sheldon Brown has a brief but informative article on wheel building that may help.

Christopher

Über Member
Radial truing is a long boring painful job. Much harder and more tedious than lateral truing

Christopher

Über Member
Hi brewer
Sorry, I should not have said that, it is just a job you have to steadily plug away at and you will get there eventually. It isn't difficult, just takes time.

Top Bottom