Wheel hubs is there a difference

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jackthelad

Was wondering if there is a difference between 105 hubs and ultegra hubs fitted to mavic open pro rims with dt swiss spokes.Basically just wondering about rolling ability and endurance of components.I am not a weigh weenie so not too bothered about the difference in weight unless it affects the quality of the wheels from a different angle. I tend to fit 36 spoke hubs for build quality.
So is it wise to spend the extra on ultegra hubs,please enlighten and educate me to wheel hubs, thanks

PpPete

Legendary Member
Bearing quality might be slightly better with Ultegra, otherwise just the weight difference. I doubt anyone would notice the difference when riding.
Much as I like the serviceability of the traditional cup/cone & loose bearings, and have had excellent service from my Open Pro rim/105 hub wheels, they are not anything like as slick as my new set based on Hope Pro III. They just spin for ever, and on long downhill freewheels I seem to overtake more people now.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
If you want more longevity, go for the Ultegra. Very little difference, but there will be slightly better sealing and bearings. Also slight weight loss.

Top Bottom