Wheel Life

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Commuting, I do just under 8,000 miles per year.
Last year (August) my rear wheel free hub wore out, but because it was an old wheel I could not get the spare, so I bought myself a new set of wheels. Bontrager Race X Lites.

The rear wheel has gone back under warranty for a cracked rim after 5,000 miles. I have my wife's rear wheel on my bike but this has lasted only 700 miles before 2 spokes snapped this week.

I am still waiting on the replacement from Trek, so I am going out today to get another rear wheel or new set, as I can't get to work otherwise.

After explaining all that, I wondered what people's thoughts are on how many miles I should expect to get from a wheel, am I expecting too much and 5,000 is pretty good and I should expect to buy a new rear wheel every year?

Alien8

Senior Moment
I guess we're essentially talking road riding here so I would expect any half decent wheel to last until the rim wears out - and then you can rebuild it using the same hub.

A cracked rim, assuming you haven't been rock-hopping, would indicate a poor build or a real cheapo wheel to me.

Hubs could be a different matter - as you're a year-round rider they take a load of abuse from the winter weather, salt of the roads etc. Do you clean and re-grease them at all?

Anyway, your long-term plan should be to start building your own wheels - it's good fun you know.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
on my touring bike the rear lasted 10,000 miles, the front one has done over 23,000 miles, but it all depends if you have to do a lot of braking on your rides

byegad

Legendary Member
I got through a set of rims on my commuter in a year. At 32 miles a day the rims wore down to the safety indicators fairly quickly I could positively hear the alloy scraping off the rims at the end of every wet commute. I kept my rims clean washing them after every wet ride and I monitored the pads every week rain or shine but after 32 miles in spray both rims were grinding when I braked. I didn't ride every day, only worked 4 days a week for a start so the mileage was possibly 4 0r 5000 miles. I could have gone further I guess but when the wear indicators disappeared I played safe, having seen a rim blow some years ago.

Top Bottom