Wheel options...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

teletext45

Hey, i'm currently riding a Giant Defy 4, currently standard, looking to upgrade my wheel set to somthing a little lighter. i'm just at the point of considerig my options..

I've been recomended Aksium as a first upgrade, but ive been looking at the multitude of other options, shimano wheels, hope tech etc etc,

has anyone got any recomendations with a budget of around £250

thanks

andy

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
How about some Eastons.

Awsome wheelset.
Bought them after seeing a great review
I popped a spoke on a FNRttC and the wheel was only very slightly out of true for the rest of the ride (80 miles)
So far I have done about 3000 miles on them and no other problems what so ever. Hand built, Nice and light, roll well and they look good too.

Wiggle have a nice pair (fnar)

amaferanga

Veteran
Planet X Model B's are about the same weight as the Eastons, but about half the price.

If it were me I'd spend £125 on the Model B's and then the remaining £125 upgrading other bits on the bike.

OP
OP
teletext45

teletext45

pm sent to him!!

i'm tempted by the mavics because i know about the insurance you can take out on them to cover against damage on pot holes etc

amaferanga

Veteran
I'd still recommend that you get some cheaper wheels like the Model B's and maybe some carbon forks. With a full carbon fork you could save quite a bit of weight over the heavy steel forks and you might even notice a smoother ride.

pm sent to him!!

i'm tempted by the mavics because i know about the insurance you can take out on them to cover against damage on pot holes etc

I forgot to say - the only thing to check is the wear to the rims as the bearings can easily be replaced.

The only other thing that wears out is the freehub bushing which gives rise to play in the freehub - but these days you can buy a replacement bushing for £8 off eBay instead of forking out for a whole new freehub.

kfinlay

Must Try Harder
Pro-Lite Bracianno around £200, handbuilt, light, stiff and comfortable.

Top Bottom