Wheel re-building. Is it possible/worth it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rivers

How far can I go?
Over the weekend, I went to a local bike jumble sale in search of a cheap rear wheel for turbo use. I ended up with a set of DT Swiss Tricon 1450 wheels with enough life on them to last a season or 2 on the road depending on conditions, but perfect for turbo use. I did a bit of googling when I got home to find that new (5-10 years ago), they cost around £1k. The tricon hub looks to be a slightly redesigned 240 hub. So I'm wondering if it would be worth getting these wheel rebuilt. They are a bit lighter and higher end than my current wheels (DT Swiss R23s).
Thoughts/opinions? As I don't really know much about wheels, or even if they can be rebuilt.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
You can certainly have wheels rebuilt. These ones I'm not familiar with. Post some pics maybe? However if they are running true and the spoke tension is OK then why would you want to? Are the rims worn out on the braking surface?

OP
OP
rivers

rivers

How far can I go?
You can certainly have wheels rebuilt. These ones I'm not familiar with. Post some pics maybe? However if they are running true and the spoke tension is OK then why would you want to? Are the rims worn out on the braking surface?

The rims have some life left in them, a season, maybe 2. Hence the purchase as a turbo wheel. It was only when I googled the actual wheels that I thought about rebuilding them. I know rebuilding wheels is possible, but just wondering if it's worth it? I can post some pics when I'm home from work. They look to be an older wheel, with manufacture from 2010-2014/15ish.

Rebuilding is only needed if something is wrong, eg worn braking surface, cracked or dented rim or spokes breaking.
If the wheel is fully functional, true, and the spoke tension is good and even, then just ride the. When you need a new rim you can do a rim for rim swap without having to remove all the spokes.

Tricon wheels are non-standard and uses proprietary pokes, nipples, rims and rim inserts and, hubs.

Re-building them will cost an arm and a leg. Avoid them at all costs if you still can.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
The rims have some life left in them, a season, maybe 2. Hence the purchase as a turbo wheel. It was only when I googled the actual wheels that I thought about rebuilding them. I know rebuilding wheels is possible, but just wondering if it's worth it? I can post some pics when I'm home from work. They look to be an older wheel, with manufacture from 2010-2014/15ish.
Just ride them

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Most factory wheels of this type are supposed to be ridden until they wear out, then replaced. Mavic Ksyriums are in theory rebuildable but the alu spokes will be firmly seized in the rim by the time the rim has worn thin.

Top Bottom