Wheel replacement after 700 miles.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PpPete

Legendary Member
RedBike said:
The bearings on my new Kona bike have lasted just 5 days. They are apparently NOT covered by the warrenty.

WTF!
5 days !
I'd have thought this would come under "not fit for purpose" and be replaced immediately FOC by a retailer who should be scared of a visit from Trading Standards.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
+1. Bugger that. Warranty schmarranty - remember that line you see around 'This does not affect your statutory rights'? This is the kind of thing it means. You have a statutory right to an apology and a replacement, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

02GF74

Über Member
you shouldn't need a new wheel, worst case is new hub. you can rebuild the wheel yourself and take it for a final trueing.

is it the race in the hub or the cone that has pitted? if only the latter, you can buy new cones, new brearing and grease and off you go.

was there a problem with the wheel prior to taking it to the LBS?

snailracer

Über Member
A pitted cone can be still be used. Mark the cone with felt tip to show where the pits are. Mount the wheel in the dropouts ensuring the pits face upwards (ie the sky). Kinda ugly to have to do this with a nice, newish LBS bike, though, so try complaining first.

This works because only the bottom of the cone (ie side facing the ground) presses against the cup of the hub. If the cup is pitted, a replacement will be needed sooner or later, as all 360 degrees of the cup are utilized when the wheel turns. Damaged ball bearings should also be replaced.

Obviously you will need a set of cone spanners (cheap) to do this, and know how to adjust bearings for correct free play. I find adjusting wheel bearings perversely gratifying.

Bearings pit because there is no grease, and/or because bearing adjustment is too tight. A bearing that seems correct when out of the wheel can still be too tight if a quick-release skewer is used with excessive pressure. Nutted (ie not quick-release) axles do not tighten the wheel bearing when fitted into the frame.

If you can't get replacement cones, Halfords sell complete axle+cone+ball bearing replacment kits. Check that the cups in the hub aren't damaged, first, as that would require a wheel replacement/rebuild, which would include an axle as standard.

snailracer

Über Member
As only one side of the bearing is shot, this failure is most likely due to lack of grease on that side and not overtightening of the bearing, as that would trash both sides.

OP
OP
Banjo

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Update on my wheel. The lbs have changed the bearings and cones greased and reassembled it to get me going for now.

More importantlly they have started the process of applying to Scott for a replacement wheel on warranty.Its wait and see time now ,if Scott try to wriggle out i am off to trading standards.Wheel hubs are NOT in their list of wear and tear parts not covered and the only reference to servicing the hubs is on the anual service .

LBS are being really helpfull since I had a chat with the manager and explained that in my opinion this issue is in no way my fault,he listed a number of things I could have done wrong such as spraying WD 40 near it power washing etc and I could honestly say I hadnt done any of those.

Wait and see time now. Good luck to others having warranty issues .Dont give up and remember your contract is with the shop not the manufacturer.

OP
OP
Banjo

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
New wheels on the way.

Had a call from the shop a new wheelset is coming my way .Alls well that ends well.:smile:

Top Bottom