Wheel replacement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
I have a old Mongoose Crossway 350 Disc which has been laid up, with which I intend to learn the art of fettling. One thing it does need, though, is new wheels (the pawls in the freehub are shot).

They are Alex Rims PC19's, which seems to be a Google blind spot. So, I'm looking for a low cost equivalent, 8-speed compatible, disc compatible.

Any suggestions? I'm a bit thick at fettling matters, I just ride the things :whistle:

Tim Hall

Why not just replace the freehub?

OP
OP
Dec66

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
Be honest, you just want shiney new don'tcha. :becool:
No, I got shiny new. I got a Cube Peloton just after Christmas, which has only seen one and a half serious rides since.

I want a serviceable "pub bike". I can walk to the pub, but I want something to pootle round with the little 'uns, at home and on holiday.

LBS wanted an arm and leg to fix the various things (not a complaint about LBS, it was a fair quote), hence the Cube. The Triban 500SE became the commuter (hasn't put a wheel wrong since), and the Mongoose was to be stripped to bits in order to teach me the fundamentals of fettling.

But time is short, and I certainly don't have enough of it to become an artisan wheel builder :laugh:

the snail

Guru
I'd try spraying some wd40 or something on the pawls and see if they'll free up, then lube with gt85. An hour or so with a spoke key should sort the wobble out. On a disc wheel you don't need to get it perfect. If you want to replace, then it would help to know the size of the wheel, rim width, disc mounting then google/ebay?

Top Bottom