Wheel Rules For Racing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steve23

i guess that there are some rules as far as what wheels you can use for racing!!??

im on about road racing, is there a certain depth rim you must not exceed for it to be legal to race on?

thanks

walker

I'd adhure to the BC rules, should be able to find them on the website.

All I know is no disc's are allowed on any racing other than track and TT's.

walker

then there are no rules :biggrin:

I'm sure when you get your BC licence it states it somewhere in the handbook. But I threw mine away ages ago. :biggrin:

Will1985

Über Member
It is 16 spokes, so the old style campag shamals are out as they have 12 spokes. (Rule #1.3.018) I'm pretty sure that somewere there is a list of <20 spoke count wheels which are approved.

I also spotted a thread on timetriallingforum the other day about the new Zipp 1080 wheelset - the rear is legal, but the front is not (in this case time trialling) as there is too much surface area.

walker

Steve, if your going in at cat 4, I wouldn't get to caught up in the rules, Rim Depth will be a dead give away but spoke count and bike weight arn't going to be noticed, that sort of stuff is when you hit cat 2 and above, and even then you would be unlucky to have been caught. No one gets stuck at a weighing scale or a calculator at many races these days

Will1985

Über Member
I'm aware of rim depths/area for TTing, but what are they for racing? T-Mobile had rather deep wheels at the Tour, but for BChave they set a national limit?
I suppose Cosmic Carbones are fine at 55mm, and no doubt HED Jet 60s are ok, but are you pushing it after that?

walker

I'm sure as long as you use your own initiative you should be ok. if you go to your first race with deep rim's and a carbon fibre stead looking for the win only to be blowing out your arse into the 10th lap your going to look a little bit of a plum. go with what you got, attend a race to see what some of the other lads and ladies are using and go from there.

Top Bottom