Wheel Set for Hybrid

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

emulsifier12

Hi.
I have a hybrid bike with 700c rims with 135mm drops (hub width) at the back. I am looking to put lighter better quality wheels onto my bike. It currently has a 7 speed freewheel on the back.

Question 1.
Can anyone recommend a well priced wheel set for my bike. I weigh 18 stone and my current wheels are taking strain. (Budget up to £200)

Question 2.
Can I change to a casette and put a 7 speed cassette on the back with a spacer?

thanks in advance.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I'd have a look at the handbuilt wheelsets at Spa Cycles:-

http://www.spacycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m2b0s181p1539

They use a lot of Rigida rims which get a good press, I've linked to a Rigida Snyper/Deore XT wheelset for £177 but you can look at all the other options. My understanding(limited:biggrin:):-

hubs - go as good as you can afford, for 135mm spacing you need the MTB sizing rather than the 130mm of Ultegra/Tiagra etc - there are better hubs but not in your budget

rims - Rigida Grizzly - comparable to Mavic A719 but better longevity reputation, Rigida Sputnik - superb write ups but you do pay a weight penalty, Rigida Snyper - the rim width is between a road and touring rim, single eyelet only, but gets very good reports on how well it builds up.

I've not found better wheelset deals than Spa, assuming they do what you want.

rh100

Hi, I recently did the same.

Can't really recommend wheels as mine were cheap through amazon marketplace.

Most 700c wheels seem to be 130mm, which caught me out, so double check before buying as a lot i looked at didn't even mention the width.

If you get a wheel with a freehub cassette mount, as opposed to the freewheel you have now, then a spacer will be needed for a 7 speed cassette.

However, you will likely need to change the chain aswell, as my old chain just clattered around the new cassette. Remember to reset the high low limits of the derailieur aswell. You will need a cassette lockring tool and a chainwhip.

Also, 7 speed cassettes are a bit sparse. My old freewheel had a very low range, 34t i think, and the Shimano HG30 cassette I replaced it with was 11-28, and I notice the lack of a lower gear. Just yesterday I bought a SRAM cassette which a low of 32t, so I'm hoping this will make things better.

PpPete

Legendary Member
emulsifier12 said:
Hi.
I have a hybrid bike with 700c rims with 135mm drops (hub width) at the back. I am looking to put lighter better quality wheels onto my bike. It currently has a 7 speed freewheel on the back.

Question 1.
Can anyone recommend a well priced wheel set for my bike. I weigh 18 stone and my current wheels are taking strain. (Budget up to £200)

Question 2.
Can I change to a casette and put a 7 speed cassette on the back with a spacer?

thanks in advance.

135mm between dropouts? Very unlikely to be a freewheel IMO - more likely a cassette already?

For £200 budget, light, reasonably quick, but still strong wheels: If it were 130mm I would suggest Parker International handbuilts - Open Pro rims on 105 hubs, 36 spoke.
That's the combination I've got, but I built my own. I'm only 15 stone but I've hammered mine on a loaded tourer through genuine MTB countryside without damage.
You could ask Parker if they would do some on Deore hubs at same price?

PpPete

Legendary Member
or this looks like rather good value.
Ambrosio Evolutions are a couple of ounces heavier than Open Pros, but look like similar robust construction. I suspect it's a wheel builder trying to make business start up. You could get in touch with him and get a quote for those rims on a 135mm hub.

OP
OP
emulsifier12

emulsifier12

Thanks for the responses so far.:thumbsup:

Excuse my ignorance:blush:, but what is the difference between single, double and non eyeletted rims?

Top Bottom