Wheel Sizing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oilyrag

I have a set of wheels that have been lying in the garage for a while now, and have decided to replace them onto my bike. After close inspection I cant for the life of me see any sizing, unless it's under the rim tape ( is that a possibility.) I've had them in the forks of my bike so I know they are compatible. so my question is, can I manually measure them to find the correct size and if so how. For instance the wheels I have on say 622 x 19 and have 700 x 32 tyres on.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Measure the width and compare it to the width of your known 19mm wide rim. That 19mm is the internal width ie where the tyre beads seat, BTW. Then sit the unknown wheel in your bike and if the brake pads line up exactly on the rim, it's a 700c rim. You could always try fitting a known tyre to it. A 700c tyre won't fit on a 27" wheel, however hard you try. DAMHIKT.

OP
OP
oilyrag

oilyrag

Measure the width and compare it to the width of your known 19mm wide rim. That 19mm is the internal width ie where the tyre beads seat, BTW. Then sit the unknown wheel in your bike and if the brake pads line up exactly on the rim, it's a 700c rim. You could always try fitting a known tyre to it. A 700c tyre won't fit on a 27" wheel, however hard you try. DAMHIKT.
Thanks for the quick response. The 19 mm part I did'nt know. As for lining the brake pads up, common sense really. Will try it tomorrow. Thanks again.

Top Bottom