Wheel tears

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beansnuts

I have a lovely old 70s Triumph Traffic Master for my daughter. We have a flat front tyre but when we take the nuts off we can’t get the wheel to come free. Can anyone help please??

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello and welcome to the forum.
I suspect it's just corroded into the drop out and mudguard stay.

RTorigfhub.jpg

Leave the nut on loose and use a lump of wood to drift it off with a hammer. A judicious spaying with WD40 or something similar will help the process. It will come off!

Last edited:

Crankarm

Guru
I have a lovely old 70s Triumph Traffic Master for my daughter. We have a flat front tyre but when we take the nuts off we can’t get the wheel to come free. Can anyone help please??

A picture will help. I think it highly unlikely that corrosion is holding the wheel in. Maybe there are some tab washers present that you haven't realised are present. I seem to recall these being fitted for a while to bikes of a certain vintage before suicide lawyer lips were put on all front forks. Penetrating oils yes but do not whack it with a lump hammer!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
RTorigforks.jpg
IMG_20190623_133919.jpg
I had also considered this CA but none present that i can see on this pic of the Traffic Master but worth checking inside the fork next to the axle.
This is the sort of thing you should look for but maybe on the inside leg of the fork. You'll need to unscrew the nut fully to wiggle it out.

Last edited:

tamiya

On my Raleigh Twentys their original front wheel with original axle have a bump at the cones which keys into the insides of the fork. Need to spread apart the fork slightly to release wheel & axle.

Believe Triumph is a cousin of the Raleigh. :smile:

Top Bottom