Wheel upgrade (climbing)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mobi8

Regular
So I have done all the training, I cant loose another kg off my body, ive saved up my pennies, and I fancy a wheel upgrade for my giant tcr.

my natural strength is climbing and there for im not to bothered about deep rim wheels, as these could hinder my climbing, no?

I been looking into light weight aluminium wheels and the Mavic r sys look amazing but a £1600 they are a bit pricey! my preferred budget would be under £1000 and in this range the Fulcrum racing 1 wheel set looks nice.

I haven't found many articles on wheel directly related to climbing so im asking around to see what other peoples opinion is.

thanks for your suggestions.

Dan

MrWill

Can't beat Zondas imo. Honestly.

D

Deleted member 18052

Go into any decent LBS and ask how much a pair of handbuilts would be, I bet they'll be cheaper than some off the shelf ones, Better, and you'll be able to go and get a spoke fairly easy if you manage to break one.
York Cycleworks come highly recommended by a colleague/friend who has has an awesome pair made by them,

mattobrien

Guru
No personal experience but the Cucle Division Cero AR30 look to offer am excellent combination of 1,395grms weight and a £379 price tag.

http://www.cycledivision.co.uk/product-info.php?CERO_AR30_Superlight_Alloy_Clincher-pid133.html

I suspect you'll not find too many wheels with a significantly lower weight, but I'd bet they had a much higher price.

In a different more, I previously had Fulcrum Racing Zeros, they should come in under budget and are around 1,430grms. I believe there are plans for a lighter / upgraded version out in the next could of months.

I liked the wheels very much, but have since upgraded to some Enve's, similar weight, but mid depth carbon rims.

S.Giles

Excuse my ignorance, but is a £1000 price tag (say) a reflection of the individual cost of the components used, or is there something else coming into play here that I'm not considering.

I ask because when I built my own front wheel recently, I splashed out on good quality stainless steel Belgian spokes (Sapim Race), and they cost about £16. That would leave a heck of a lot for a hub and rim!

Thanks

Steve

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
No personal experience but the Cucle Division Cero AR30 look to offer am excellent combination of 1,395grms weight and a £379 price tag.

http://www.cycledivision.co.uk/product-info.php?CERO_AR30_Superlight_Alloy_Clincher-pid133.html

I suspect you'll not find too many wheels with a significantly lower weight, but I'd bet they had a much higher price.

In a different more, I previously had Fulcrum Racing Zeros, they should come in under budget and are around 1,430grms. I believe there are plans for a lighter / upgraded version out in the next could of months.

I liked the wheels very much, but have since upgraded to some Enve's, similar weight, but mid depth carbon rims.
New Zeros (plus a new top-of-the-range Nite version) are out, or at least announced.

Top Bottom