Wheel upgrade for road bike, once again I need your advice.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scouserinlondon

Basically I fancy treating myself to a little upgrade, partly because illness has kept me off my bike for a month, and partly because I just want to treat myself. I have a one year old trek pilot with factory bonti wheels. I'm thinking of upgrading to fulcrum racing 7s or mavic askium. But that's cos they're the only ones I've read about

So my question is, is it worth upgrading my wheels and will I notice much difference if I do? I don't really want to spend more than £140 but any other recommendations would be gratefully recieved.

WychwoodTrev

I can only comment on the mavic aksiums as that's what I use. Great wheels that are in your price range £145 from performance cycles they have a eBay shop if you are interested

gbb

Legendary Member
I don't think you'll notice that much (if any) difference in performance. At the end of the day, you're replacing budget wheels...with budget wheels. Good wheels, but still budget.
I replaced my Ambrosios on the Bianchi with Racing 5s.
TBH, the new wheels were slower, but perhaps the Ambrosios were also slower when brand new, till it all gets run in. I got impatient and fitted low friction bearings....then you see an instant improvement, not so much on the flat (although they're better)...but downhill, it spins up so so freely.
Traet yourself if thats what you want...but don't expect instant results.

I had great service out of my Aksiums on the Sirrus before it was retired to the turbo and compared to the stock alex ace rims on that bike it was massive improvement. I've actually just put the rear on my Kinesis to replace the old quasar wheel which was starting to fail and touch wood I'll get more service out of it, at least to spring when I'll fit my Christmas present a PlanetX Model B Wheelset :thumbsup:

OP
OP
S

scouserinlondon

Thanks for all the advice. I splashed out on the mavics having read on other threads that they seem to be preferred over the fulcrums. Got them for just over £130 in the Merlin bikes sale and should get an additional 5% back via quidco. Result. Not sure they'll enhance the ride but love fettling and customising the bike. Think I'll wait until the worst of the winter weather is over before I use them though.

Edge705

Thanks for all the advice. I splashed out on the mavics having read on other threads that they seem to be preferred over the fulcrums. Got them for just over £130 in the Merlin bikes sale and should get an additional 5% back via quidco. Result. Not sure they'll enhance the ride but love fettling and customising the bike. Think I'll wait until the worst of the winter weather is over before I use them though.

Youve made a good choice they are bomb proof wheels I disagree with those that say wheels dont make a lot of differnce they do especially handling the bike at speeds and round corners. Ive never needed to tru my aksiums (circa £150) and my elites circa (£350) yet my rodi wheels (circa £70) are garbage in comaprison they were always runing out of true and have been relegated to storage never to reappear unless Im desperate!!

Personaly I think aksiums are a great wheel for the money these were 200 quid at one point Im amazed they are bargain basement prices at present I got mune last year for £125 best purchase Ive made for a long long time

Top Bottom