Wheel upgrade? Slr1 to Cadex

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pb63

Veteran
As per title, what are peoples views on this upgrade from Giant slr1 wheels which came on my tcr advanced pro one to Cadex:

https://www.rmcycles.co.uk/componen...S2-X4ZignB6cuNEygoIgPNsQwpjUW8nRoC44MQAvD_BwE

Would I see any noticeable difference and is it worth the outlay? They certainly look bling, but would there be any noticeable performance gain? My riding is mainly flat, rolling landscapes with a bit of wind. Not much in terms of climbs.

On my old defy I upgraded the wheels to shimano rs700 setup with latex tubes and Conti go4000s and the difference was night and day. I’m just wondering if I’d have a similar experience with upgrading the tcr wheels or if people thing the standard wheels are good enough? There’s a bit of weight saving between slr1 and Cadex and I’d probably go for the 42 mm versions or if I went for the deeper 65s maybe keep the slr1s for those windy days…

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
You don't mention what size SLR1s you have but I'm assuming it's the 42s. If you want to go for the 42mm Cadex... Well you're effectively asking: 'Is it worth replacing a carbon wheelset worth £1000, 42mm profile, 1450g with a carbon wheelset worth £1000, 42mm profile, 1250g' or in other words: 'Should I spend £1000 to save 200g if I'm riding on flat roads?'.

No mate. No. Instead, make sure to take a s%$t when you go out :laugh:

OP
OP
P

pb63

Veteran
They
You don't mention what size SLR1s you have but I'm assuming it's the 42s. If you want to go for the 42mm Cadex... Well you're effectively asking: 'Is it worth replacing a carbon wheelset worth £1000, 42mm profile, 1450g with a carbon wheelset worth £1000, 42mm profile, 1250g' or in other words: 'Should I spend £1000 to save 200g if I'm riding on flat roads?'.

No mate. No. Instead, make sure to take a s%$t when you go out :laugh:

they are indeed the 42mm ones.

Other than weight then, no other benefit from upgrading?

Ha, I take your point on taking a dump 😂

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I have a pair of the Cadex 42 wheels, only done a few hundred miles so far, not really tested them on any climbs yet though. They do roll very well. Not sure I'd pay the full RRP of £2500, :rolleyes:
If you're riding is mainly on the flat, you're not really going to notice the weight saving much at all :okay:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I was reading an article on gcn or cycle something the other day, the tested zipp 303s vs zipp £3k wheelset.
The £3k ones were about 200g lighter and the £1k 303s were very marginally faster in both there TT and hill climb like for like tests.

OP
OP
P

pb63

Veteran
I was reading an article on gcn or cycle something the other day, the tested zipp 303s vs zipp £3k wheelset.
The £3k ones were about 200g lighter and the £1k 303s were very marginally faster in both there TT and hill climb like for like tests.

Yes I read that too. It surprised me hence why I posted this before I wasted money on a marginal weight save and some asthetics... Didn't look like much benefit at all...

I wasn't even sure if the cadex wheels were not much different from the SLRs given they come giant...so wondered if the outcome would be the same. Sounds like it could be unless anyone knows different..?

OP
OP
P

pb63

Veteran
I have a pair of the Cadex 42 wheels, only done a few hundred miles so far, not really tested them on any climbs yet though. They do roll very well. Not sure I'd pay the full RRP of £2500, :rolleyes:
If you're riding is mainly on the flat, you're not really going to notice the weight saving much at all :okay:

What wheels did you come from before the cadex if you dont mind me asking and is there any significant benefit or do they just look / feel nicer?

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
One other thing to consider is that the Cadex rims you've linked are hookless - so make sure you understand the trade-offs of that technology. I've recently heard of at least two people cracking hookless rims, presumably due to the decreased structural rigidity of the cross section. There's also the pressure limit - especially applicable if you're on the heavier side.

OP
OP
P

pb63

Veteran
One other thing to consider is that the Cadex rims you've linked are hookless - so make sure you understand the trade-offs of that technology. I've recently heard of at least two people cracking hookless rims, presumably due to the decreased structural rigidity of the cross section. There's also the pressure limit - especially applicable if you're on the heavier side.

Hi Peter, yes I am aware they are hookless, so too are my current wheelset, the SLRs. Not had any problems with mine so far. I'm pretty light though (63kgs) so not running high pressures or anything...

Soltydog

Legendary Member
What wheels did you come from before the cadex if you dont mind me asking and is there any significant benefit or do they just look / feel nicer?

I had some Scope S4 wheels, but I had issues with the freehubs & reliability :sad: The first one bust going up Park Rash, my bike became a fixie with gears :whistle: Unable to freewheel down hills was fun, spinning out in top gear, so had to brake whilst pedalling downhill 😄 It took an age (about 6 months) to get them sorted. Then after another few weeks the free hub broke again going up Buttertubs :sad:. Took another few months to sort out a new wheelset this time, but just as they arrived in the UK, the LBS got a a good deal on the Cadex. So I swapped over after lack of confindence in Scope.
I've not been fit enough to tackle any big climbs yet this year, so can't say how they compare in that respect, but they are lighter by a few 100 grams so should be better 🤞They certainly feel quicker on the flat round here, spin up really quick & I've had no issues with braking (rim brakes) but it's pretty much a dry weather bike, so no wet braking tests yet :okay: I'm hoping to get over to my parents on the bike next week, near Halifax, so will test out a few climbs there 👍

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Went over to Halifax earlier in the week, but wasn't feeling 100%. From the train station I headed to The Hough, a cobbled climb peaking at 20%, it's the first real climb I've done in over 6 months & all went well. The wheels felt good on the climb & handled the cobbles well 👍 but it's my 1st attempt at the climb, so nothing to compare to. On my ride home, the only other climb of any note was Thornhill & knocked a few seconds off my PR despite feeling a little tired. I'll put it down to the wheels :laugh:

Top Bottom