Wheel Upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maherees

Über Member
Hi all,
my current gravel bike has 650b wheels and i thought about using it as a winter road bike by upgrading to 700c and keeping the 650b for the better months. When i originally bought the bike from Cycle Republic and muted the idea of getting a wheel upgrade I was told that:
The front-wheel needs to have a 100x12mm hub/thru-axle
The rear wheel needs to have a 142x12mm hub/thru-axle.
Do I simply use this detail to order wheels (and a sprocket) or is there far more to this and I should really get a local bike shop to do this?
many thanks

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Hub details need to include brake rotor type (Centrelock or 6 bolt) if you intend to swap rotors between wheels. You should also check freewheel compatibility with your current drivetrain (9, 10, 11, 12spd) and if Shimano or Campag.

OP
OP
Maherees

Maherees

Über Member
My current wheels have 1.95 tyres. I'd have thought the larger diameter and slimmer tyre would make the bike a little faster and more efficient?

DRM

Guru
https://www.huntbikewheels.com/collections/gravel-wheels
These any good, also remember that you would need to check maximum width of tyre when using 700C wheels

si_c

Guru
My current wheels have 1.95 tyres. I'd have thought the larger diameter and slimmer tyre would make the bike a little faster and more efficient?
It may be slightly more aero dynamic, it might not - it depends on the air interaction between the wheels and the frame. It's likely to be a very small gain however.

I'd have thought you would get more of a speed improvement getting a set of 650b tyres more suitable to the road - something like the Rene Herse Babyshoe pass would be a good choice with the standard casing. Honestly, given the state of the roads in the UK I would expect to be faster with higher volume more comfortable tyres than I would on thin high pressure ones.

boydj

Legendary Member
I would have thought the 650b wheels would have been better for winter / gravel use with 700c and lighter, faster tyres for summer use on the road.

OP
OP
Maherees

Maherees

Über Member
Thanks for the replies - i think I will try the narrower tyre route first. I currently have 1.9 Gravel Kings, would l be able to go down as far as 1.5?

Ajax Bay

Guru
Yes, 1.5 width (37mm) tyres will be fine on the rims you have. 584-37 is the spec (you should find '584' on the side of your Gravel Kings).

Last edited:
Top Bottom