Wheel Upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BLAKEY063

I am looking at upgrading the Ritchey Pro wheels supplied with the Boardman Team Carbon.
Looking at a price range of £500 to £600 inclusive for both
They must be clinchers and worth replacing the Ritchey's.
Apart from weight, what attributes should I be looking for?

Any help and pointers would be great.

Looking at Fulcrum Racing 1 which I could stretch to if they are worth it.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
For hilly areas you want something like the FR1's but for anything else Mavic Cosmic Carbone's are hard to beat. They are a bit slow to get up to speed but are very well built and roll really well so you can use them for general purpose cycling as well as races and tt's.

The only downside is that I find a front aero wheel to be a pain in sudden sidewinds so I have a non-aero up front - but that is personal preference.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Mavic_Cosmic_Carbone_SL_Clincher_Wheelset/5360042824/

lukesdad

As AP has indicated depends on what you want to do with them. Ive got the Dura Ace scandiums and Sram S60s can recommend both,although the S60s might be a tad expensive you can find them at £750 on the net. Good all round wheels though.

OP
OP
BLAKEY063

BLAKEY063

I suppose the wheels would be used mainly for Sunday type club runs and London to Brighton. Also short (20mile) runs.
As for terrain it is a little hilly around here.

Not sure about the wide rims like on the Mavics as with my narrow rims I really feel the crosswind

dubhghall

I bought a set of Mavic Ksyrium SL which I think are fantastic - very stiff, roll beautifully and are reasonably light at 1485g. Think they are about £638 on-line.
A Pal bought the DAs and would also highly recomend - slightly lighter.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
I should have cautioned you about the bling effect

jayHPIM1216.JPG

OP
OP
BLAKEY063

BLAKEY063

Cool, trouble is with a bike like that you have to ride fast all the time, need another bike for a recovery ride.

Noodley

IMO rather than look at wheels within a price band try to work out what you want from your wheelset...I got new wheels last year for just over 200 quid which met my needs. There were other brands which were much more costly which did not meet my needs...

OP
OP
BLAKEY063

BLAKEY063

Thats a good point Noodley.
I have started commuting on my Carrera Virago with Shimano 105's and £200 wheels. It is a very nice ride. However an upgrade in the wheels department is something I am considering purely because I have not experienced a decent set of wheels.

Having said that I was looking at upgrading to a Dura-ace groupset, but having read advice and reviews realise that for my type of cycling it is really not worth it.

Fattman

I got a set of Easton EA90SLX (current model £566 on Wiggle) a couple of years back and they have proven fantastic. They are properly light (~1500g) so make an impact on how I feel about the bike as well as a weight loss over my heavy-duty Mavic Aksium 'winter' wheels.

I've used these on Sportives & weekend rides but also occasionally on horrid 30mile ride into & through London to work, potholetastic, they've done ~1500miles and are still true and spinny (have over-hauled the rear hub once, easy enough).

Got my Missus the Mavic Ksyrium SLs last year, they are comparably light (I borrowed them, don't tell her!) and certainly look cool but somehow aren't as 'whooshy'. The Easton's feel and, strangely, sound great. They spin up quickly and give confidence up the hills.

They are not deep section but that means they're not so twitchy in cross-wind - they survived the Exmoor Beast last year which had 30mph+ side-winds.

I'm ~72kg, the SLXs have done me fine, if you have a few more kg the SLs have a few more spokes on the back.

Best investment I have made in the bike, big big difference!

Top Bottom