Wheel upgrade?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello all,
I'm thinking of a wheel upgrade for my Boardman team carbon and more or less narrowed it down to a new pair of Fulcrum Racing 5 Evolutions (Merlin have a good deal) or maybe a good secondhand pair of something more exotic.
The Merlin deal at £165 (Shimano hub) sets my price limit for value.
The Fulcrums do seem to get good reviews.
Any advice?

hotmetal

I can't give you any definitive info, but my mate has some Racing 1s and loves them. OK I know FR1s are megabucks but this guy has had loads of different wheels and rates the Fulcrums even against other equally expensive wheelsets, so I guess a pair of 5s wouldn't be a bad choice. Should be as good as anything else at the same price point. That said, the same guy talked me out of buying new and I bought a 2nd hand bike with Campag Euruses on them. Although they're 5 years old, they're still straight and stiff and the bearings are sweet as, so you could potentially get some great wheels 2nd hand, as long as they're genuinely in good nick.

Have you had trouble with the standard (Ritchey?) wheels or are you just looking for a lighter, stiffer wheelset? I did hear of some people having recurring snapped or loose spokes on their Boardmans, although for the money it still seems to be an excellent bike so long as the bloke that built it up did it properly. I very nearly bought one myself until said mate found me a juicy little 2nd hand number.

jimboalee

From the info' I can gather, the Fulcrums are 75g heavier that the Ritchey rim wheelset in the Boardman.

Retro step, I'd say.

For a wheelset below 1600g, you're looking at £300 +.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Easton EA50 SL's were recently well reviewed in C+
Lightish for the price and mildly aero... handbuilt to boot and currently a bargain price. They'd be my choice at the mo when mine wear out...

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Easton_EA50_SL_Road_Bike_Wheelset/5360036597/

But as Jimbo says, you have to spend a lot to get something appreciably lighter. What's wrong with the standard Ritchey set?
What do they actually weigh (compared to what the Internet says...)?

Will1985

Über Member
Jimbo is right - move in the wrong direction. Hold off or increase your budget. If it's an upgrade for upgrade's sake, look at the tyres you are using first.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Will1985 said:
Jimbo is right - move in the wrong direction. Hold off or increase your budget. If it's an upgrade for upgrade's sake, look at the tyres you are using first.

Good point, forgot about tyres in my morning sleepiness. Try some Michelin Pro-Race 3s and light tubes for a faster, livelier and grippier experience!

Beaker39

I have just "upgraded" my Ritchey wheels on my Boardman to some Kore Gradients (1450g I beleive) with some Mich Pro race 3 tyres and must admit I really like em. A bit more responsive and felt a bit quicker on the hills but that may be psychological.

Oh yeh they look great with white spokes and yellow tyres too!!!

jimboalee

Don't go too light though.

As might have been noticed in yesterday's tour stage, some of the crash victims had FOLDED UP wheels.

In a pro race environment, there are spare wheels available after bad crashes, but for the likes of us, a walk home will be the only thing to do...:ohmy: followed by a £60 shell-out for new rim and rebuild.

MichaelM

Guru
I have no experience at all with any of the the wheels mentioned so far. Neither do I have a set of the Planet X wheels (but I know people who do), so I'll mention them at £124.99 posted, with a listed weight of 1653 grams.

http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/i/q/WPPXMODELB/planet-x-model-b-wheelset

accountantpete

Brexiteer
The first thing to do is decide whether you want to go lightweight or aero or mix and match between the two.

Aero's are far better on flat terrain or into a headwind but are a bit neutral when climbing unless you want to really splash the cash. Might be worth saving up a bit more ready for next year.

OP
OP

Veteran
wheel upgrade

Thanks for the advice folks.
I've got Mich pro race 3's on the bike (yellow ones of course), these were a major step up from the original Continentals fitted.
I've got a pair of Racing 7's on my other bike, that's what makes me consider the 5's for my Boardman.
I know that wheel choice always seems to be about a few grams, but I should think that wheel stiffness has some effect, especially when climbing.
The Ritchey wheels fitted have stayed straight and true, so no complaints with the build quality - I just have it in my mind that they feel a little soft (?) when climbing out of the saddle.

Top Bottom