Wheel Upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Farky

Hello all,

I am looking to put my Fulcrum R3's on my wet rider and wondered what would be a worthwhile 'upgrade' for my dry rider. I am more of a sportive rider that does like to reach good speed but am also a reasonable climber which I would like to maintain. Price is not too much of a problem but I don't really believe in putting £2k wheels on a £3k bike if you get my drift..

Your thoughts and opinions would be greatly received.

Jimbonic

I agree with your sentiment - also, I just don't think I'm good enough to tell / notice the minute differences between the more expensive wheels.

I bought a pair of Xero XCR1s a few years ago. Just under £200 and very very good value. They are very light weight, have a touch of aero (OK, a very small touch) and have lasted really well on my tri bike. My race/Sunday bike has, by chance, ended up being pretty lightweight and these wheels still fit the bill. I've never had any trouble descending at >50 mph or leaping mountain goat-like up the hills.

As I say, I'm not the most experienced rider, but all I can say is, "they work for me".

Good luck

amaferanga

Veteran
I guess you just want a nice set of wheels - nothing at all wrong with that. Since you have the R3's already then how about a nice set of carbon clinchers? You could get some 20mm deep rims with pimpy hubs and build them up with Sapim CX-rays and have a wheelset that weighs as little as 1200g. Or go for some deeper rims, say 50mm which could come in lighter than your R3's still. Lots of folk these days are buying carbon rims and wheels direct from China and they can be had for around £100 /rim leaving a plenty to get some really nice hubs and the CX-rays.

Or you could spend £2000 on some Lightweights....

Top Bottom