Wheel upgrades...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Any suggestions people..?? Currently using Ksyrium Equipes so thought about Ksy Elite S`s!! .. but what about the Race 23s and 24s from wheelsmiths, read some amazing reviews...

ps, clinchers only..

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
What's the main use? How heavy? I'm guessing you don't want another set of what you already have. What's your budget?
There are quite a few post on the subject....

OP
OP
R

RolandsuperX

Regular
80-81kg ... decent paced long distance mixed terrian rides with alot of climbing.. 1/2 decent bike handler so not very hard on equipment..

Budget... max £700 exc tires etc..

Race use or not?

For racing, you HAVE to go tubular.
Speaking of Tubulars, how did your Farsports perform in your CX race? Review? :whistle:

As to the OP, you will really struggle to get a bad wheel set for £700. As above though, it depends on intended use. If it is for all year round bullet proof light wheels then something from wheelsmiths wouldn't be the worst idea in thew world. I can highly recommend the Ksyrium Elites you mentioned as my brother rides them year round on his Rose Xeon, they are bomb proof and nearly half your budget. I can also recommend somewthing like Fulcrum 1's and Fulcrum zero's for an all year round wheel set. Bomb proof would be my description and a shade under 1500grams these days.

As Vamp says though, if you are racing then get Tubs. For the same money as clincher, they are lighter and offer superior ride quality - IMO.
I am actually someone who doesn't mind using tubs year round on one of my bikes. Just carry a spare tub and/or some sealant. One man once said "life is too short not to ride tubs on a daily basis". As for the "what if you get two punctures argument", well how many cyclists carry two spare tubes for clinchers anyway? With tubs if you tape a spare to the bike and carry a can of sealant you should be set for most eventualities.

If clinchers are your thing though then ignore the last paragraph. Happy shopping.

VamP

Banned
Speaking of Tubulars, how did your Farsports perform in your CX race? Review? :whistle:

As to the OP, you will really struggle to get a bad wheel set for £700. As above though, it depends on intended use. If it is for all year round bullet proof light wheels then something from wheelsmiths wouldn't be the worst idea in thew world. I can highly recommend the Ksyrium Elites you mentioned as my brother rides them year round on his Rose Xeon, they are bomb proof and nearly half your budget. I can also recommend somewthing like Fulcrum 1's and Fulcrum zero's for an all year round wheel set. Bomb proof would be my description and a shade under 1500grams these days.

As Vamp says though, if you are racing then get Tubs. For the same money as clincher, they are lighter and offer superior ride quality - IMO.
I am actually someone who doesn't mind using tubs year round on one of my bikes. Just carry a spare tub and/or some sealant. One man once said "life is too short not to ride tubs on a daily basis". As for the "what if you get two punctures argument", well how many cyclists carry two spare tubes for clinchers anyway? With tubs if you tape a spare to the bike and carry a can of sealant you should be set for most eventualities.

If clinchers are your thing though then ignore the last paragraph. Happy shopping.

Only got to race them for the first time today. Be patient young Padawan, a review is on the way. With pictures and everything. Came third today, best result of season, so that gives a clue how the review might go ;)

@OP the tubs versus clinchers argument is a wash as far as I am concerned for road use, but for CX tubs rule supreme. For a lot of reasons that I can expand on if you are interested.

Only got to race them for the first time today. Be patient young Padawan, a review is on the way. With pictures and everything. Came third today, best result of season, so that gives a clue how the review might go ;)

@OP the tubs versus clinchers argument is a wash as far as I am concerned for road use, but for CX tubs rule supreme. For a lot of reasons that I can expand on if you are interested.
Look forward to the review. Defo consider them at that weight and at that price.

OP
OP
R

RolandsuperX

Regular
No racing gents.... if I was it would be tubs all the way...

While were on the subject of tasty ali hoops, what about brake block options??

VamP

Banned
I am a big fan of Ambrosio rims - what about some handbuilt Excellights on hubs of your choice? GHPII for the brake pads, nothing else comes close for wet performance and they are kind to rims too.

Top Bottom