Wheelbenders

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rsvdaz

just read a thread where someone mentioned a certain type of cycle racking as wheelbenders..im an architect and specify this stuff..I take it those type of racking arent like by cyclists?
what are they prefered types?..they are mainly specified for student accommodation..so cost is important

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
The classic wheelbender!! :blush::blush::ohmy:

BR2_01.jpg

I like ones like this
Premier_Cycle_Rack_10_Bikes.jpg

and even better if they are made to look pretty
dog-bike-rack.jpg

There are literally hundreds of images on Google with a variety of types. I really don't like anything that fixes a wheel, as it can easily result in a wrecked wheel. I always look for something that i can lock the seattube of the frame and rear wheel to.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
If I have to use a wheel bender for a very very short length of time ... (the post office delivery office has them for example and refuse to serve me if I try to bring in the bike), then I make my feelings know by locking the bike across all the wheel benders so that I can lock my frame to the stand.

Landslide

Rare Migrant
Steve Austin said:
...and even better if they are made to look pretty.
I disagree. In Sheffield, the council has added "form" to its stands. Unfortunately this has been at a cost to "function". The stands are less supportive (more likelihood of bikes falling over) and more difficult to attach a lock to, especially if you're using a small (and therefore more secure) shackle.

Davidc

Guru
A wheel locked in a wheelbender doesn't even meet basic insurance company requirements. (Unless used as suggested by Summerdays)

Sheffield stands are IMO best - either the basic n shape or the easier to use M shape.

Davidc

Guru
summerdays said:
If I have to use a wheel bender for a very very short length of time ... (the post office delivery office has them for example and refuse to serve me if I try to bring in the bike), then I make my feelings know by locking the bike across all the wheel benders so that I can lock my frame to the stand.

You mean yours acknowledges that customers arrive by bike? The Taunton Chip Lane one doesn't. Last time I was there I was the 5th person trying to find a bit of fence to lock a bike to!

I've been looking @ places to rent in Oxford, which is fairly cycle friendly, and for the first time have seen undercover bike storage. Bit like sheds but with no doors, with sheffield stands inside.

However, my bike would not be covered by my insurance if I used these stands as they are not locked inside a locked shed out of sight (the bike storage is not locked and anyone can look in).

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
summerdays said:

Its all we have at work :biggrin:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Landslide said:
I disagree. In Sheffield, the council has added "form" to its stands. Unfortunately this has been at a cost to "function". The stands are less supportive (more likelihood of bikes falling over) and more difficult to attach a lock to, especially if you're using a small (and therefore more secure) shackle.

It's much worse than that, some silly person deemed that the only stands that can be installed in the conservation areas of the city are the bronze fins and they have to be specially ordered in which takes much longer so the most chronically short areas of the city never get any more cycle parking (pretty much, ever).

D

Deleted member 1258

We have wheelbenders where I'm working at the moment, I normally lock the bike to the stand through the rear carrier and the wheel. It would be better if it had some sort of roof on it and provided some weather protection.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
rsvdaz said:
just read a thread where someone mentioned a certain type of cycle racking as wheelbenders..im an architect and specify this stuff..I take it those type of racking arent like by cyclists?
what are they prefered types?..they are mainly specified for student accommodation..so cost is important

Wheelbenders should never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever be used on a new build. Sheffield stands and/or lockers depending on the type of use short/long stay. There's endless literature on stands such as http://www.dft.gov.uk/cyclingengland/site/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/c04_cycle_parking.pdf

Basically for a new build/scheme there it's more or less expected that you'd put in 8 sheffield stands and try and get them covered. If demand/space was there there would be a shed too. There's a lot of variation on new builds with some places putting in 0 and others going above what you'd expect and there is no correlation about whether anything else in the area does or not.

The problems with new builds are usually that sheffield stands
(a) are installed less than 1m apart, this renders them much less useful
(:biggrin: it's hidden away round the corner somewhere daft, developers are getting naughtier and naughtier putting stands further and further from entrances for the sheer hell of it.

battered

Guru
Sheffield stands are fab. My local supermarket has them, well spaced and I double lock my scabby old MTB (that's worth, oooh, maybe as much as £50 these days, so very desirable!) to them.

The Halfords opposite has them, it makes sense, they have a bike section...except you can't lock a bike to them because they use them to secure the trailer display. Thanks, lads.

Top Bottom