Wheels for a touring hybrid

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
May I pick brains pls?

A couple of years ago I changed the std wheels on my Defy road bike for OpenPros, which I built onto Tiagra hubs. What a difference! Different bike now. The change you can make in a bike by changing the wheels is amazing.

I need to do the same for my 26" wheeled disc braked Ridgeback Tempest hybrid. The current wheels are Alex rims on unbranded hubs, and may be getting to the end of their lives. I'm retiring soon and will be taking the opportunity to ride some of the longer routes in the UK over the next few years - so I think a wheel upgrade will be a good idea.

I'm a biggish lad so weight saving is not an issue, and I don't want to spend a fortune, but maybe 80-£100 per wheel in components would be OK. What's the current thinking on a rim with about 17mm inside width (so a 28 or 32 tyre), 36 hole, and an appropriate hub? I'll build these myself.

So, what rims and hubs pls?

Many thx.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Rims worth considering: Exal LX17 or Rigida Sputnik? Not disc brake specific, but up to the job. I've built wheels using Sputniks, and they're close to indestructible.
For disc specific (and therefore slightly lighter in weight), there's Exal DC19 which might be worth a look. All links are to Spa cycles - I don't work for them, honestly!
With the current Euro exchange rate, it may be cheaper to order from a continental supplier. e.g. Rosebikes.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I'd go for Deore LX or equivelent disc model, 32-36 spokes (especially 36 on the rear) and good Mavic, Exal, Rigida or DTSwiss rims. I'm afraid the only disc bike I have is a MTB on stock wheels, but I had some lovely touring wheels built from LX hubs and Rigida Snypers from Spa which I used for years. I think they've snapped two spokes over the time (and are now concave, I need to get round to fitting the new Exal 17 rims I have for them), including one that was snapped being loaded on a rail-replacement bus in Fort William.

On the 17mm ID, that's my favourite width. They will take 25-38mm tyres (and probably wider) ok which covers basically all my touring usage. OTOH if it's mainly for touring, especially if you are going off-road a lot, then maybe having the comfort of big tyres on wider rims would appeal?

May I pick brains pls?

A couple of years ago I changed the std wheels on my Defy road bike for OpenPros, which I built onto Tiagra hubs. What a difference! Different bike now. The change you can make in a bike by changing the wheels is amazing.

I need to do the same for my 26" wheeled disc braked Ridgeback Tempest hybrid. The current wheels are Alex rims on unbranded hubs, and may be getting to the end of their lives. I'm retiring soon and will be taking the opportunity to ride some of the longer routes in the UK over the next few years - so I think a wheel upgrade will be a good idea.

I'm a biggish lad so weight saving is not an issue, and I don't want to spend a fortune, but maybe 80-£100 per wheel in components would be OK. What's the current thinking on a rim with about 17mm inside width (so a 28 or 32 tyre), 36 hole, and an appropriate hub? I'll build these myself.

So, what rims and hubs pls?

Many thx.
Before asking for suggestions for new wheels, why not first define the differences and/or improvements the previous change of wheels offered you? Then suggestions can be based on the type of improvements you experienced. What you've inadvertently asked for here is for everyone on the forum to suggest wheels based on what they're riding or recently purchased. Most of it will be self-affirmation for cash spent and none of it will help you in any way whatsoever.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Another vote for Spa Cycles here, they are also good for advice on the phone/e-mail and will let you tweak your requirements but still qualify for their web offers.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Before asking for suggestions for new wheels, why not first define the differences and/or improvements the previous change of wheels offered you? Then suggestions can be based on the type of improvements you experienced. What you've inadvertently asked for here is for everyone on the forum to suggest wheels based on what they're riding or recently purchased. Most of it will be self-affirmation for cash spent and none of it will help you in any way whatsoever.
Your contributions to this forum are usually interesting and helpful - you clearly have more experience than I do, and I respect that.
I also note that you've had an unfortunate experience with another member earlier this morning.
Don't take it out on me, please.
My suggestions were based on the OP's stated requirements. FWIW, I'm currently riding Rigida Chrinas and whatever rims Brompton used in 2009; I didn't recommend either of these for his new wheels, because they wouldn't match the brief. The Sputniks were built 8 years or so ago, so neither recently purchased nor currently being ridden (awaiting a frame renovation before being refitted).

Your contributions to this forum are usually interesting and helpful - you clearly have more experience than I do, and I respect that.
I also note that you've had an unfortunate experience with another member earlier this morning.
Don't take it out on me, please.
My suggestions were based on the OP's stated requirements. FWIW, I'm currently riding Rigida Chrinas and whatever rims Brompton used in 2009; I didn't recommend either of these for his new wheels, because they wouldn't match the brief. The Sputniks were built 8 years or so ago, so neither recently purchased nor currently being ridden (awaiting a frame renovation before being refitted).
No offence to you or anyone else intended. My suggestion to the OP is genuine and hopefully helpful by the end of this thread. You will notice that he/she asked for advice based on an unknown premise. I don't see how anyone can offer advice on such a basis but lets see where this goes.

I'd go for Deore LX or equivelent disc model, 32-36 spokes (especially 36 on the rear)

In the olden days, XT were the gold standard for touring hubs. The current incarnation of XT has, for many years, used a fat aluminium axle, for "improved stiffness". The price you pay is less space for bearings, which are smaller diameter. The freehub may also be shaved thinner to make space but I can't say for sure. I just note many more freehub failures which never used to happen.

LX are the highest grade hub of conventional design with large ball bearings. The seals are adequate, although downgraded since LX was shifted from the MTB to Treking lineup (like we need lesser seals?)

People do tour on XT but there is no advantage over LX.

Top Bottom