wheels help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yellow v2

I am cosidering replacing the wheels on my Trek 1200 [ Alex 450 ], I am after opinions as to what would serve me best,ie suit the bike etc

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
What price bracket ?

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
You're going to have to let us have some idea of the budget you have in mind.

However generally speaking, spec for spec, regular hand built wheels from a well respected builder, have the edge until you get somewhere around the £400 mark.

However, hand built wheels don't have any 'bling' factor. Therefore the designer wheels have their proponents at all price points from about £100 upwards, despite something lighter, stronger, more reliable, more durable or easily maintained being availble at the same price in the more mundane hand built world.

OP
OP
Y

yellow v2

I dont want to over spend but the existing rims are worn so would like to keep things relative, its a second bike for winter/commuting, so £ 150 ish, I would think.

I run Mavic Aksium wheels, and they are superb IMO.

I use them for everything from commuting through London to club runs. They are very tough, and well priced (also handily indisde your budget). Plus they look fantastic in black.

Their spoke tension required no adjustment out of the box, and 1500kms later they are still true.

I have also run Shimano R-500's which fall in the same price catagory, and would never go back. Although a couple of grams lighter they have a poorer build quality. The Mavics have awesome bearings and are incredibly free rolling, especially for a budget wheel (this is also mentioned in many reviews, if you care to do some googling) they are also very tough indeed.

Top Bottom