Wheels Life?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sparkyman

Kinamortaphobic
MY wheels on my main Bike accedo 700c came originally with my Raleigh Pioneer urban and then moved onto a surly LHT.
They have covered over 6000 miles in the last 2 years and i am wondering if i should replace them soon.

there are no signs that they are on the way out and other then a baggage handling incident have never needed any work on (broke a spoke).

By my next tour (summer 11) the wheels would have covered 10,000 miles.

Should I replace now before they go or wait?

And if i should replace, anyone know where i can get hold of a nice set at a reasonable price ? also should i get 36 hole wheels rather then 32?

I am using fat tyres for comfort 50mm.

Sparkyman

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I covered 10,000 miles on the rear before the rim cracked, on a Sun CR18 with Shimano LX hub. The front has covered over 20,000 miles, but I do look after the hubs changing the bearings and cones when needed

RedBike

I normally change my wheels when the rims start to look worryingly thin / concave.

It all depends on how / where you ride. Wet winter rides wear out the rims far quicker than a summer pootle

l4dva

Guru
I was woundering the same thing actually....

I replaced the brake pads on my boardmans over the weekend, but I noticed that my rims aren't smooth anymore (the part where the brake pads touch the rims). The rear has a bumpy/uneven feel to it, the front isn't so bad but I can feel it starting to go the same way.

I'm sure they were super smooth/flat when they where new...

I've only done 650 miles on it 90% of which in the dry (ive only owned the bike for apx 2 months), should I be worried about this?

OP
OP
sparkyman

sparkyman

Kinamortaphobic
Most of my Milage is done in the Lancashire Blackpool area, so wet :smile: and sandy/grity but usually on the road.

Sparkyman

I changed my wheel today after I think at least 12,000 miles. Well 8,000 in the last 14 months anyway, they have been on the bike since 2003.
I did not need to change the front, but I do like them to match.

Boy are the new wheels nice, I just didn't realise how bad my existing rear wheel was, although I thought it was in good nick, apart from the free hub wearing out.

So I will have them serviced every 3,000 miles to make sure they are okay

Top Bottom