Wheels RS80, 6700 or other

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

madguern

Hi all

Looking for some advice, looking for a set of wheels for racing with. Have a set of alexrims on my allez and want to get something better for when I race. Looking for light and quick to help me up the hills, also looking to have different cassette on the back more attuned to race setup than training commute.

I have been looking for a while and looked at Mavic, Shimano and Fulcrum looking to spend no more than £300 for both wheels. Rs80's have had good reviews and so have the 6700's. Also long term reviews have been very positive, the mavic and fulcrums at this price range had good reviews however long term people reported cracking and broken spokes.

so what do you think ? my view is probably the RS80's but the 6700's are slightly cheaper.

Either way have to save up so probably by time have the money there will be new stuff :-)

Cheers

monnet

Guru
I ride Ksyriums elites, a bit out of your range but I imagine the Equipes might fall in your range. I've found them to be excellent.

A clubmate of mine runs RS80s and they do seem like really good wheels as well. I've no idea what the difference between the RS80s and 6700s is, I'm guessing it's in the rim as I think they both run Ultegra hubs. Of the two I'd be inclined to agree with you on the RS80s. At that price point anything from Mavic or Shimano is going to be decent.

I can't advise on the Fulcrums but if you want clicky clicky hubs that can be heard for miles around then they might be the thing!

OP
OP
madguern

madguern

Hi Monnet , thanks for feedback. The rs80s are carbon rims so light the 6700 are alloy but tube or clincher.

I am thinking of saving a little harder for the rs80s which should see me fine for racing for a couple of years

Cheers

Rob

Top Bottom