Wheels stolen...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

geekinaseat

Well I got back to the station this evening to find the wheels had been stolen from my bike...

Really really annoying and comes at a bad time as I am trying to get as many miles as possible at the moment in preparation for Ride London 100 in a few weeks (my only bike).

The bike was left at Island Gardens DLR station today at 8:00am and I returned to find it at 8:00pm. I have to accept some blame as I only lock the frame so I guess I invited the scumbags but still...

The wheels are nothing special, just Giant SR-2 with 25mm Continental Gatorskins and (i think) Schwalbe tubes, the rear has (had?) a 9 speed Shimano Tiagra Casette attached.

The front wheel is identifiable by some prominent scratches where my caliper failed and scratched the black area of the rim.

I've had a cursory look at gumtree, ebay and craigslist but I don't really fancy my chances, I think to be in with any chance of doing my first sportive i'm just going to have to take the hit and get some new wheels and a casette quickly.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• 2014-07-21 20.34.35.jpg
    2014-07-21 20.34.35.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 304

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Bummer. There are some Fulcrum wheels on ebay for £99 if that helps any.

Oh, lock your wheels to your frame when you leave it. I see bikes minus wheels, locked by their frames, on a daily basis in the city. Some bloomin' nice bikes without wheels at that.
So sorry that you have learned the hard way. Good luck replacing them.

ScotiaLass

Guru
Bummer!
Have they got CCTV?
Is your bike insured?

Invest in two D locks when you get your new wheels, one through the front wheel to the frame and same at the rear. Oh and if you have a QR seat, cable lock that too!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I presume you have now collected the frame?

Mr Summerdays suffered the theft of some parts in the past when they took his brakes, cables and all!

OP
OP
geekinaseat

geekinaseat

There was CCTV over the road, i'm just on hold with the Met now reporting it...

No insurance unfortunately, my lock has cover but that's only if the lock was compromised...

The annoying thing is I usually store my bike in secure storage at work but I'd done so many miles over the weekend I thought I'd give my legs a rest and locked the bike up at Island Gardens and got the tube in!

I'll take a look at the fulcrums thanks!

OP
OP
geekinaseat

geekinaseat

Yeah I carried the frame home, turns out my bike is pretty light without wheels!

They seem to have scratched the frame and pulled the cable out of the front caliper when they ripped the front wheel off as well, I'd just had a service in prep for ride london and had new brakes fitted -fortunately they were still attached!

MrWill

http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/b...22242628-inch-for-sale-disc-brakes/1074196498

This has just popped up on Gumtree, maybe about 5 miles away. Coincidence do you think or worth investigating?

Worth investigating, I'd go and see if the wheels are there, if so, don't make it obvious and then call the police!

Looks like someone has gone on a wheel pinching spree in that area.

Mile195

Veteran
Sorry to hear this. I had a saddle stolen off a 20 year old peugeot racer once. The saddle was worth absolutely nothing financially to anyone, and the cost of replacing it wasn't that much. It's the inconvenience of having to find another way home though that really makes it grate. What made it more annoying was that it was not a quick release saddle, so someone had gone out specially with an allan key.

When I lock my bike, I put a massive D-Lock through the frame and rear wheel, then I carry a second cable lock that's light and doesn't take much room to put through the front. If I'm not carrying the D-lock it's long enough to put through both wheels, the frame and whatever I'm tethering it to.

While the cable lock (or the D-Lock for that matter) won't stop the determined thief that's carrying around a pair of bolt cutters, it will deter the casual "oik" that has nothing better to do with his day.

KneesUp

Guru
http://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/b...22242628-inch-for-sale-disc-brakes/1074196498

This has just popped up on Gumtree, maybe about 5 miles away. Coincidence do you think or worth investigating?
That advert couldn't be any dodgier really - I can't think of a legitimate reasons anyone would anyone have loads of wheels in all different sizes as well as 'other bits' but not have any actual bikes. And even less can I think of a legitimate reason you wouldn't list them properly so people could find what they wanted. The only reasons for doing that are utter incompetence or to stop the people you stole them off from finding them.

Paul99

Über Member
That advert couldn't be any dodgier really - I can't think of a legitimate reasons anyone would anyone have loads of wheels in all different sizes as well as 'other bits' but not have any actual bikes. And even less can I think of a legitimate reason you wouldn't list them properly so people could find what they wanted. The only reasons for doing that are utter incompetence or to stop the people you stole them off from finding them.

^^^^ This.

But I would just bring the ad to the local plods attention. Is a set of stock wheels worth the chance of confronting a scumbag with not a lot to lose?

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
^^^^ This.

But I would just bring the ad to the local plods attention. Is a set of stock wheels worth the chance of confronting a scumbag with not a lot to lose?
A bit more clout if you can identify the wheels to the police though. Go, look, tell him you need to think about the price and walk away. Phone the police once you are round the corner. If it sounds like they are going to drag their feet like crazy, and your wheels are there, consider how much you're willing to spend as a 'finders fee' just to have them back.

That'd be my method anyway.

Mile195

Veteran
Click on "see other ads from this user". He's got whole bikes too. In fact this chap's been very, very busy...

KneesUp

Guru
Click on "see other ads from this user". He's got whole bikes too. In fact this chap's been very, very busy...
All of the ones I looked on he claims to have hardly ridden - "USED IT ONLY 2 - 3 TIMES" Why would anyone buy lots of cheap-ish bikes that are very similar and hardly use them?

Top Bottom