Wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mynydd

Veteran
Ive more or less decided, that rather than buy a lower end carbon (ribble) bike on the cycle to work scheme that I would be better off upgrading the wheels on my current bike (cube peloton sl). This would enable me to put my current wheels (mavik aksiums) onto my Tricross, which needs a new set anyway.

I have two questions:

1 Any suggestions for a good set of wheels (under 500 pounds, for a set) I can use wiggle and chain reaction via thescheme.

2 is it possible to put a 9 speed cassette onto the wheel that currently has an 11sp cassette? I assume I need some sort of spacer? If so where could I get one?

Many thanks in advance

Last edited:

Nibor

Bewildered
2 yes with a spacer

OP
OP
mynydd

mynydd

Veteran
Actually, it looks as if you can't get wheels on the scheme..... Officially anyway. Will have to have a chat in my lbs...

OP
OP
mynydd

mynydd

Veteran
Is that so? I've tried to contact them several times to ask, (I live too far from a shop) but had no reply. My lbs will do it, but a pair of krysium elites is at least 50 quid cheaper in Evans

Is that so? I've tried to contact them several times to ask, (I live too far from a shop) but had no reply. My lbs will do it, but a pair of krysium elites is at least 50 quid cheaper in Evans

Interestingly/annoyingly Evans own Ride 2 work will, but their buy-in to other schemes won't, so it depends how you can apply in your case.

Unless you have an understanding local shop that grasps the rather obvious fact that *any* component that improves a bike's performance or desirability is going to have a positive effect on its commutability. And that hmrc's rules on the scheme don't prescribe which components do count and which don't.

vickster

Legendary Member
Have you phoned their head office. They've always answered the phone very quickly when I've called

+44 (0)1293 574900

Don't bother with email

OP
OP
mynydd

mynydd

Veteran
Yes, I phoned them yesterday, as you say they answered very quickly, and were very helpful.

They will let you get wheels. I've now applied to get the wheels, winter shoes, mudguards, decent bibs and a new saddle.

I'm not sure why shops don't consider wheels to be safety equipment... The wheels on my original c2w bike were definitely bordering on unsafe after three years of daily commuting.

Hopefully it gets approved quickly

OP
OP
mynydd

mynydd

Veteran
Interestingly/annoyingly Evans own Ride 2 work will, but their buy-in to other schemes won't, so it depends how you can apply in your case.

They told me they were happy to use cyclescheme, which is what my company use

OP
OP
mynydd

mynydd

Veteran
I've just had the application approved, and been told certificate should be with me within six days.
I wasn't specific as to what I was going to get with the voucher.....

OP
OP
mynydd

mynydd

Veteran
Just received the certificate, order placed to collect whilst on my holiday (with bike) on Monday :becool:

Top Bottom