Wheelset recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kcyclist

Hi all - looking for a recommendation for decent wheelset for summer longer rides.
Currently using Shimano rs100 which are fine for winter + commuting.
I have had a couple of sets of fulcrums but the rear wheel has failed in each one with no way to repair or replace. I weigh 82kg.
Thinking about Campagnolo Sciroccos as a faster wheel.
Anyone got experience with these?? Are they durable / long lasting.

chris-suffolk

I' guessing you want a road bike wheel? Or maybe touring? Also could you give a budget, disc or rim brakes, ali or carbon, tyre size preferred and any other info, then people will be best placed to try and help.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
+1 to the above questions.

Campagnolo wheels are the same manufacturer as Fulcrum so you'll have similar issues. The Campagnolo Scirocco are basically re-branded as Fulcrum Quattro.

I've bought a fair few wheels from Superstar Components at that type of budget - https://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/ but recommendations will depend on the type of riding you're doing.

CXRAndy

Guru
Build your own or order a set made with decent hubs, spokes carbon aero rims.

' Just riding along' do wheel builds. I tend to use Hope or DT Swiss hubs because they're quality.

There are other wheelbuilders, I use a local chap to me, hes built about 6 wheelsets for me

Stronger wheels will generally have higher spoke count 28h. 24h seems to be standard. I had two sets of wheels with 24h that kept breaking spokes. I had a pair of 28h wheels and no more problems

OP
OP
K

Kcyclist

Hey all . It's rim brakes, could go up to £300ish for a decent set.
Mavic cosmic elites were the other one I was thinking about

T4tomo

Legendary Member
There isn't a lot wrong with Rs100s. you could spend £250-350 odd and get a set of something that weighs 2-300g less or weighs very similar but has say 35mm deep section rims. Is that worth it?

si_c

Guru
Take a look at DCR wheels - £300 puts you into the realm of getting their handbuilt wheels. They always get highly recommended.

OP
OP
K

Kcyclist

Take a look at DCR wheels - £300 puts you into the realm of getting their handbuilt wheels. They always get highly recommended.

Hi there
So DCR wheels have the Vivaldi wheelset for £300. It's quite a bit lighter than the Shimano rs100s and option to add extra spokes to the build which hopefully avoid further wheel failures.
Seems like a winner!

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Hi all - looking for a recommendation for decent wheelset for summer longer rides.
Currently using Shimano rs100 which are fine for winter + commuting.
I have had a couple of sets of fulcrums but the rear wheel has failed in each one with no way to repair or replace. I weigh 82kg.
Thinking about Campagnolo Sciroccos as a faster wheel.
Anyone got experience with these?? Are they durable / long lasting.
I have had a pair of Sciroccos for 17 years now, with no problem at all. The rims are still as true today as when they were built for me by Condor's. The Campagnolo hubs have been serviced a couple of times but still run very smoothly.

Top Bottom