wheelset says 30-46 mm What can go wrong?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi, descrition of my Fulcrum gravel wheelset says "The profile of the wheel enables tubeless ready tyres of between 30 and 46 mm" I have a pair of 650B 2.2" tyres What can go wrong? should I stick to specification?

vickster

Legendary Member
Do you have clearance within the frame for the full range? What’s 2.2” in new money? Also are the wheels 650B?

If so, not sure what could go wrong other than to bear in mind some tyres come up a bit bigger than the size stated when inflated, so sticking to 42 or less could be preferable.

why not just try to fit the tyres and wheels and see?

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
C

ClickCLocks

Regular
Hi, Yes plenty of clearance in the frane, Wheels and Tyres are 650B. Not sure why the wheel manufacturer recomend those specific tyre sizes. I'm just worry something will go wrong maybe the tyre will get out off the rim or something. I'm not sure that's why I'm asking

vickster

Legendary Member
Just get the correct sized tyres if concerned. 2.2" is a fair bit fatter than 46mm...you may not even be able to get them to seat in the rim with an inflated tube, so you'll know it won't work before trying to ride the bike

Reactions: C R
Personally I'd not want to risk a tyre coming off the rim going into a corner and potentially locking up the front wheel.

You'd certainly have no come back if you've knowingly fitted a tyre wider than recommended.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Do you have clearance within the frame for the full range? What’s 2.2” in new money?
57mm approx

Top Bottom