Wheelsets for the cheap

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JonT005

Regular
Hi everyone,

I'm looking at buying a new wheelset for a racing bike. I'm after something that's at least 40mm deep on both front and rear wheels. The only issue is is that I am a student and don't have the biggest budget. Any recommendations, I'm not worried about it being the newest selection or even from a big brand, just something good quality for the money.

vickster

Legendary Member

si_c

Guru
@vickster pretty much has you covered, I was looking for a new wheelset last year and seriously gave the Prime wheels consideration, and there are lots of happy reviews on the internet. In the end I went with something I was able to get from my LBS on the cycle to work scheme, but I'd have happily gone for the 50mm Prime Black wheels.

vickster

Legendary Member
@vickster pretty much has you covered, I was looking for a new wheelset last year and seriously gave the Prime wheels consideration, and there are lots of happy reviews on the internet. In the end I went with something I was able to get from my LBS on the cycle to work scheme, but I'd have happily gone for the 50mm Prime Black wheels.
You bought racing wheels for commuting? :scratch:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
When you say you "don't have the biggest budget" some guidance would help.

At the budget end Superstar Components & Prime are decent. Or you could opt for second-hand wheels, particularly if you're not running 11 speed.

OP
OP
J

JonT005

Regular
When you say you "don't have the biggest budget" some guidance would help.

At the budget end Superstar Components & Prime are decent. Or you could opt for second-hand wheels, particularly if you're not running 11 speed.
I am happy to consider 2nd hand. It's helping the planet after all ;) Unfortunately, I am running 11 speed so it's a little more tricky to find some bargains.

vickster

Legendary Member
I am happy to consider 2nd hand. It's helping the planet after all ;) Unfortunately, I am running 11 speed so it's a little more tricky to find some bargains.
What’s your max budget to give folks a better idea of what you may be able to afford?

OP
OP
J

JonT005

Regular
What’s your max budget to give folks a better idea of what you may be able to afford?
I would say it's around max 500 pounds!

Top Bottom