When 2 comes 7

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tom73

Guru
Yesterday at work we did our yearly update training.
It's 2 parts one an update on new exam board regs and internal exam management.
The other being e-learning on safeguarding , prevent, GDPR and the like.
The former is about 1 hour and the latter has been done at home again it takes me about 1 hour.

This year the new head wanted everything down in school in one day. So that we can be supported by our line manger. Who is new to post and still very green and many of us had to help her in the summer exams as she was learning as she went. Plus she was looking to save money.
We found out the real thinking was the new head did not trust any of us to fill in our time sheets aka your all on the fiddle.

So when we arrived waiting was a folder full of hand outs which are all on online and you mostly don't need them.
The exam update the head again decided we had to do the same thing the rest of the academy chain so the hour meeting turned into a group watching 130 slide e-learning package. :crazy: Only into slide 10 and we found our hand outs had every other page missing. Of went the line manger to get some more copies printed.

Now quickly losing the will to live we carried on then came a quick break. The computer system over the summer was moved over to the academy wide one. So we all need new log in's. Management told everyone we needed to go and see the IT man. Off we go he then told us all to get LM to log a job with IT desk. Back we all go so everything on hold. Turned out the new ones are not even on the system though they got paid ok and have school ID that works. The update takes 24 hours so they need to come back another day.

Then at last on to the rest all 5 modules of it. Great I'm thinking soon have this done no you won't. Once logged in told we need the course log in waiting in school email system again a new set up. No it's not so LM go's off to sort it. So at last off I go great.... No not quite one down now need to print certificate. One for me and one LM off to printer. New system so ID not linked to printer so after the 5th go i'm linked. Well almost yes the printers now know me but no-one link me to a dept account. So can't print as it can't charge anyone.

So back I go and have to email each one to LM to print them off. Who can't use the computer in the IT room so each time off she went to her office.
So after a lot of messing about waiting , having to reprint a mass of paper most of which is off to recycling bin, IT system that just won't work that each school in the chain has to pay a small fortune in internal management fees for.

My normal 2 hours turned into 7 hours. Welcome to education cost saving best bit is the head is a maths teacher :wacko:

Can't wait till we have start logging on to use the academy wide online clock for each exam .... what can go wrong :rolleyes:

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Internal accounting is always a joy... academies are the bane of every teacher I know and there are 3 in my close family who would drop the system and go back to LA Education Authority run system tomorrow.

Privatisation is great for the owners of academies but never works for the benefit of people employed by them or the children at the school.

Despite the frustration all my teacher friends and family love teaching despite the admin which expands to fill every teaching day.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Look on the bright side, you at least know that the system doesn't work as planned. There's all that forward planning to do now, on paper of course.

Don't forget to fill your time sheet with all the details.

D

Deleted member 1258

Yesterday at work we did our yearly update training.
It's 2 parts one an update on new exam board regs and internal exam management.
The other being e-learning on safeguarding , prevent, GDPR and the like.
The former is about 1 hour and the latter has been done at home again it takes me about 1 hour.

This year the new head wanted everything down in school in one day. So that we can be supported by our line manger. Who is new to post and still very green and many of us had to help her in the summer exams as she was learning as she went. Plus she was looking to save money.
We found out the real thinking was the new head did not trust any of us to fill in our time sheets aka your all on the fiddle.

So when we arrived waiting was a folder full of hand outs which are all on online and you mostly don't need them.
The exam update the head again decided we had to do the same thing the rest of the academy chain so the hour meeting turned into a group watching 130 slide e-learning package. :crazy: Only into slide 10 and we found our hand outs had every other page missing. Of went the line manger to get some more copies printed.

Now quickly losing the will to live we carried on then came a quick break. The computer system over the summer was moved over to the academy wide one. So we all need new log in's. Management told everyone we needed to go and see the IT man. Off we go he then told us all to get LM to log a job with IT desk. Back we all go so everything on hold. Turned out the new ones are not even on the system though they got paid ok and have school ID that works. The update takes 24 hours so they need to come back another day.

Then at last on to the rest all 5 modules of it. Great I'm thinking soon have this done no you won't. Once logged in told we need the course log in waiting in school email system again a new set up. No it's not so LM go's off to sort it. So at last off I go great.... No not quite one down now need to print certificate. One for me and one LM off to printer. New system so ID not linked to printer so after the 5th go i'm linked. Well almost yes the printers now know me but no-one link me to a dept account. So can't print as it can't charge anyone.

So back I go and have to email each one to LM to print them off. Who can't use the computer in the IT room so each time off she went to her office.
So after a lot of messing about waiting , having to reprint a mass of paper most of which is off to recycling bin, IT system that just won't work that each school in the chain has to pay a small fortune in internal management fees for.

My normal 2 hours turned into 7 hours. Welcome to education cost saving best bit is the head is a maths teacher :wacko:

Can't wait till we have start logging on to use the academy wide online clock for each exam .... what can go wrong :rolleyes:

:wacko::wacko::wacko:

Drago

Legendary Member
E-learning is one of the least effective means of imparting information to staff in a manner that ensures it is both understood and remembered.

That's why large organisations love it!

It sends a terrible message to staff - we really do value you, and this information is really important, but in each case not enough to train you properly.

Top Bottom