when am I burning muscle and when am I burning fat etc ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

montage

God Almighty
Hitting the gym pretty hard at the moment to prepare for a military selection, and I am also upping the training I am doing on the bike/swimming/running

.... I don't really want to spend all the time in the gym, just to burn the gained muscle when riding hard.

Simple question tbh

Thanks in advance

Chrisz

Über Member
Unless you are doing loads f hours of CV work with poor nutrition you WILL NOT burn muscle tissue!! It's a myth put about by bodybuilders who don't like to 'waste time on CV'.

You will need both good cardio-vascular endurance and muscular strength/endurance (MSE) to get in (still aiming for the Corps?).

You usually start to effectively burn fat after an hour of moderate intensity CV work.

Have fun and enjoy it - get on the bike, run plenty and get lots of reps done in the gym :biggrin:

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
Chrisz said:
Unless you are doing loads f hours of CV work with poor nutrition you WILL NOT burn muscle tissue!! It's a myth put about by bodybuilders who don't like to 'waste time on CV'.

You will need both good cardio-vascular endurance and muscular strength/endurance (MSE) to get in (still aiming for the Corps?).

You usually start to effectively burn fat after an hour of moderate intensity CV work.

Have fun and enjoy it - get on the bike, run plenty and get lots of reps done in the gym :laugh:

Still aiming for the corps :biggrin: Post-Uni though. Fitness is fine, just need to get the upper body sorted - 4 years to do so - easy :biggrin: (though I may sit selection next year for uni scholarship)

Chrisz

Über Member
I am Spartacus said:
I must admit at having no recollection of above in basic training when I was doing me bit .. eeek 30+ years ago.....:ohmy:

LOL. There wasn't a lot of 'moderate' when I went through CTC either :smile: (and that was 30 years ago back in June)

However, maintaining a moderate intensity level for CV work will enable you to more easily sustain the 1hr+ duration required for effective fat burning. Once you can keep things going for 1 1/2hrs+ then you can start upping the intensity.

Montage - stick with it mate - stay focussed on that CGB :smile:

Losidan

I have read a few times that doing some pre breakfast rides for 40 mins or so can also be quite effective on burning fat....Is it though?

Muscle size is not the same as strength. Strength is not the same as athleticism. I used to spend a lot of time/money/energy building muscle. Since i started cycling over summer i've lost at least a stone in muscle, but my strength remains the same. Now in the gym, i try to think about "athletic strength" so am trying to incorporate olympic rings into my workout to help develop upper body and core strength and endurance.

I'm not an expert, but hope this is food for thought.

mattyashy

Just make sure you have your nutrition bang on. Diet can make or break your gains. On a bulk, try to consume carbs and protein to ensure maximal muscular growth. If trying to cut fat, try to cut down on the carbs and take in plenty of protein.

High intensity interval training is best paired with weight training, due to it's short explosive nature.

Muscle is more accessible as an energy source than body fat, and your body will get rid of muscle as soon as it is not needed. This is why diet is so important, to prevent catabolism of muscle.

Chrisz

Über Member
The body will only use unused muscle as fuel in emergencies - fat is far more effective as an energy source - otherwise when we didn't exercise we'd put on muscle rather than fat as a store of reserved energy!

I am Spartacus

Über Member
Chrisz said:
The body will only use unused muscle as fuel in emergencies - fat is far more effective as an energy source - otherwise when we didn't exercise we'd put on muscle rather than fat as a store of reserved energy!

.. ;)
you forgot to insert the word 'cycling' instead of 'exercise' tho'

I am Spartacus

Über Member
It amused me that I read .. and I cant recall where it was now.... someone was berating the fact that cyclists were prone to lessening of bone density...
what twaddle...
whatever cyclists finally expire from, it certainly isnt from brittle bones
bring me my line now

mattyashy

I am Spartacus said:
weight training on a cycling fitness thread... go wash your mouth out
:smile:

Excuse my slip of tongue - I meant 'explosive resistance training'. Hopefully I won't go to hell now. ;)

Top Bottom