When buying a new bike..........

When buying a new bike / spares / accessories etc, how many shops / websites would you visit to find

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

montage

God Almighty
over 10 and I start looking at shops I don't know that well and therefore cannot trust the legitimacy/reliability/service

OP
OP
L

like-bikes.co.uk

montage said:
over 10 and I start looking at shops I don't know that well and therefore cannot trust the legitimacy/reliability/service

Valid point!

Do you ever take recommendations from other riders?

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
like-bikes.co.uk,

when does your sales pitch start? Your web site needs a lot of development if you hope to sell from it ;)

Most consumable are bought from my LBS.

Shoes from one web site that consistently has the lowest price for the shoes I want

Drive train components from the consistently lowest prices on line supplier

I don't bother looking elsewhere. Time is money and the extra pence saved is normally at the expense of time spent looking.

Big value items such as bespoke frames tend to have single sources of supply so I don't look for alternative suppliers for them.

I forgot to mention that Ebay can take a lot of the legwork out of searching for things. I had to resort to Ebay when drivetrain compent prices rose dramatically.

Bman

Guru
I would only visit one, as I would do all my browsing online. I would then visit the store to get exactly what I wanted for the price I expected.

OP
OP
L

like-bikes.co.uk

vernon said:
like-bikes.co.uk,

when does your sales pitch start? Your web site needs a lot of development if you hope to sell from it :laugh:

Sales pitch won't start for a while, web site is currently being built!
;)

Just researching the market and understanding the way that people buy, but as a side note, I won't actually be selling anything! :biggrin:

OP
OP
L

like-bikes.co.uk

Steve Austin said:
I would choose a web name that wasn't so easily confused with another one
http://www.likeabike.co.uk/likeabike_models/

Yep, that has caused a few issues, but nothing that can't be overcome.

:laugh:

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
I support my LBS where possible. Most of the 'standard' kit on my bike and body comes from there, as they have excellent service. The more unusual items (odd sized tyres, hub dynamos, german lights, aero baggage, etc) get compared at around 8 or so sites, generally looking for the lowest total price.

Depends on what I am buying.

For new clothing or shoes, I like to try them on before I buy, so will always choose a local bike shop for these - but I often only have a choice of one shop depending on the brand. I do not like to try something in a shop only to buy online later, seems rather underhand to me.

For direct replacement clothing or shoes - I will buy online from one of the larger online stores. This only applies to replacing like with like, not buying next years model of something I already own!

For components to be fitted to the bike, again I choose a local bike shop - but can usually choose from a greater range of shops. Choice is usually dependent on the cost/time of fitting the parts. I am not confident fitting expensive items, so rely on a bike shop for their guaranteed work.

For accessories or wear-and-tear items, I almost always buy online from one of the larger online stores. P&P and the method of delivery (Royal Mail or courier) are often the deciding factor when choosing an online retailer.

I hope this helps.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
palinurus said:
I walk down the road to the bike shop.
I'm afraid I'm even less of an informed customer than you are. No websites, no walk down to the bike shop. I just take my brother's word for it.

Top Bottom