1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When did bikes get so expensive...and why?

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Horace Goes Skiing, 26 May 2008.

1. Horace Goes Skiing

Horace Goes Skiing New Member

I'm looking for a nice new commuter bike that might double up as a winter trainer. Nothing fancy: just an aluminium frame, triple chainset and Tiagra/105 Shimano components.

I'm stunned, stunned! at the price of road bikes at the moment. I was going to push the boat out and spend £400 on a nice machine but as far as I can see, bikes start at £500 these days! :tongue:

When did they become so bloomin' expensive and more to the point, why? I can't see that bike technology has advanced that much recently. Is it the price of raw materials?

*shakes fist impotently at Gordon Brown* :biggrin:

2. Rob S

Rob S New Member

Why don't you get a full suspension gentleman's bike for £99 from the back of the 'News' Of The World colour supplement!?

3. Milo

Milo Veteran

Got a dawes giro 300 for 240 on sale.
    Good bike love it.

4. OP
    OP
    Horace Goes Skiing

Never again. I was on the turbo trainer and my NOTW polyester gentleman's trousers burst into flames and burnt down my NOTW self-erecting shed. The smell of burning hair still lingers in my NOTW conservatory.

5. Noodley

Noodley Guest

Ribble usually have a decent enough bike for #400

6. OP
    OP
    Horace Goes Skiing

Thanks for the tip Noodley - they seem to have a good training bike for £399 at the moment. Website isn't working for me though, so I'll need to check it out at work tomorrow.

I notice it's got Campagnolo bits and that scares me. Do they tend to be cheaper than Shimano?

7. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe Legendary Member

Bikes are cheaper than they've ever been in real terms, like most consumer goods.

8. Noodley

Noodley Guest

Campag and Shimano both have different "levels", there will be a campag equivalent of shimano.

9. Rob S

Rob S New Member

Pfft...there speaks a 'News' Of The World reader!! :biggrin:

10. Milo

Milo Veteran

Campag is ten speed I think.
    Which is allegedly prone to chain problems.
    And campag is rubbish though others will think differently.

11. Noodley

Noodley Guest

Has your body been taken over by bonj?! :biggrin::biggrin:

12. mondobongo

mondobongo Über Member

Horace have a look at Giant SCR 3.0 nice frame for the money with decent spec.

If you dont mind a previous years model quite often its only a different colour amd minor component changes then Pauls Cycles have plenty of bang for your buck.

Miloat nice to see constructive criticism.

13. Chuffy

Chuffy Veteran

I thought decent road bikes started at around the £350 mark. Spesh Allez, Focus etc.

Wouldn't want one with that Italian rubbish on it though. :biggrin:

14. Dave5N

Dave5N Über Member

Why is the cost of a bicycle Gordon Brown's fault, exactly?

15. ufkacbln

ufkacbln Guest

Bit like petrol - if the price goes up it's the government's fault and they should decrease the tax....