When did the first hard-shell cycle helmets appear in the UK?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
srw stated he was an early adopter in 1986 and I recall having one at Poly so that would have been '82 to '84. It was a white (with some red bits) thick shelled pudding basin affair, only cursory vents with polystyrene innards and some sort of black plastic strapping that went around the back of your neck. It might even have been made by Bell.
Anyone got any info?

Wikipedia states:

wo of the first modern bicycle helmets were made by MSR, a manufacturer of mountaineering equipment, and Bell Sports, a manufacturer of helmets for auto racing and motorcycles. These helmets were a spin-off from the development of expanded polystyrene foam liners for motorcycling and motorsport helmets, and had hard polycarbonate plastic shells. The bicycle helmet arm of Bell was split off in 1991 as Bell Sports Inc., having completely overtaken the motorcycle and motor sports helmet business. The first commercially successful purpose-designed bicycle helmet was the Bell Biker, a polystyrene-lined hard shell released in 1975.[4][5] At the time there was no appropriate standard; the only applicable one, from Snell, would be passed only by a light open-face motorcycle helmet. Over time the design was refined and by 1983 Bell were making the V1-Pro, the first polystyrene helmet intended for racing use

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Thanks Cunobelin ....It was like an uglier precursor to this ....

fondo-helmet.jpg

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Actually, thinking about it again, it was 1990 - because I bought one and started wearing it in response to my brother's first spell in hospital, which was in his first week at university. Very few of my fellow undergraduates (many of whom rode about the town) wore them. It was about the same time that my mother talked about her primary school encouraging them to be worn.

CRVFR

I bought a hard shell Vetta helmet around 1989 along with a pearlescent white Muddy Fox ATB. It weighed a ton (bike and helmet!)

Dave Loasby

CRVFR, that would most likely of been a Courier or Courier Comp. I sold no end for the eye watering price of £323.50 if i remember correctly.
The shop also had hard shells at the same time, which would of been 88-89

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I clearly remember a conversation with a bloke in FW Evans on the Cut in 1989 (pretty sure, but could have been 88 or 90). I was buying a mirror. It was a neat little thing that fitted between where the cable entered the top of the brake lever, and the body of the lever. It seemed like a good idea, but I wasn't sure. I asked the assistant, "Yeah, but is it any good, or is it just a silly trinket? I don't see many people using them." His response was "No, you don't see many of them, but a year or so ago no one was wearing helmets ... [ie lots of people are now]" So I think that would have been about when they ceased to be a strange minority aberration.

I bought the mirror btw, and it was OK-ish.

I clearly remember a conversation with a bloke in FW Evans on the Cut in 1989 (pretty sure, but could have been 88 or 90). I was buying a mirror. It was a neat little thing that fitted between where the cable entered the top of the brake lever, and the body of the lever.

I bought the mirror btw, and it was OK-ish.

.. and it is still available and hasn't changed much over the years!

parts_original_mirrycle.jpg

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
.. and it is still available and hasn't changed much over the years!
That's the feller. It's still in my garage, I came across it recently, athough some bits may be missing. Unfortunately the mirror doesn't reflect any more, it's gone manky. I've since tried a mirror that clips on to the body of the brake lever but it wobbled too much. Anyway, I'll shut up lest this turn into a "mirrors are useless" thread.

That's the feller. It's still in my garage, I came across it recently, athough some bits may be missing. Unfortunately the mirror doesn't reflect any more, it's gone manky. I've since tried a mirror that clips on to the body of the brake lever but it wobbled too much. Anyway, I'll shut up lest this turn into a "mirrors are useless" thread.
Mirrors are useless :whistle:

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I used to have one when I lived in Melbourne in 81. In the UK my dad had one from the mid 80's I think he still has it. Will have to look in his garage next time I pop round. I remember him tellin me that someone had shouted "scrub it helmet head" at him when he was commuting into Manchester back in the day. :rolleyes:

I want one of these!
Mirrors are useless :whistle:
Absolutely.... Wot you need is a helmet with sensors like Steve Roberts one from around this era...

behemoth-helmet.jpg

[url=http://microship.com/resources/bike-human-interface.html]Brain-Interface Unit (Helmet)[/url]

• Reflection Technology Private Eye display
  • Ultrasonic head-mouse sensors
  • Helmet lights (2)
  • Life Support Systems heat exchanger for head cooling
  • Setcom headset with boom microphone
  • Rear-view mirror on gimbaled mount
  • Jacks for stereo ear-insert headphones

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom