When did you get central heating?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

betty swollocks

large member
summerdays said:
I have to remove clothes to go and visit them:biggrin::biggrin:).

Come and visit me then.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
No CH in the family house in Sarf London during my childhood.
Ascot water heater, gas fire in the living room, parrafin heater in the bathroom, rising damp and ice on the insides of the single glazed metal framed windows.

My brother, on one hand, now favours his abode centrally heated and I prefer the same as Blue and his good wife, I can't function in overly heated air and always have to have fresh air circulating.

Don't forget that CH is considered a contributing factor in cot deaths and year round pest infestations.

T x

barq

The house I was born in didn't have central heating. My parents got it in about 1980 when I was about one year old. As a result they always kept it very low and that's an attitude I've picked up from them (so I have constant battles with my Mexican officemate over whether the heating should be on or off ;)).

Later when I was a student in Birmingham I spent a cold winter in a house that had broken heating. To be honest it was quite difficult because we didn't have an open fire, gas fire or means of making hot water other than a normal kettle. And as a house which was supposed to have central heating we didn't have that many blankets and stuff like that.

However the one thing I really liked was we didn't have a fridge but there was one of those stone cupboards (almost like a small, not totally underground cellar) under the stairs and it was quite good for storing food. When the heating was eventually fixed some months later I had to get a fridge same day.

Joe

Über Member
We've had no hot water or central heating since our boiler packed in before christmas. We've got a couple of little electric heaters now so it's not too bad, but during the cold snap it was grim. Should finally have a new one fitted next week and I am looking forward to having a bath!

When we as a family went to Germany in the 50's (father posted to Osnabruck/Munster) we had an instant improvement in standard of living. 1. Central heating. 2. Double glazing. 3. No rationing. 4. Proper bread.

Back to the slum-land briefly before long trip to tropics:smile:

Top Bottom