When did you last send or receive a postcard

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRM

Guru
Probably 1994, from Cyprus to my Gran, iirc it took 3 weeks to get there! She got one from a relative in Australia that was here in a week, makes no sense

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Way back when in the mists of time when I was a scout with the 1st Morden. There was a collectors badge. Not being the collectors sort. (Still not). I bought a job lot of cheap postcards from a local second hand store. There was my collection and I got the badge for my sleeve.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Don't remember when I last received a post card, 30-40 years ago, at a guess. Last postcard(s) I sent would have been 1993 or thereabouts, when I was in former USSR on business, and, sent cards to my children, as a novelty.

tyred

Legendary Member
When I was young, we had a postman who was ironically called Pat. Postman Pat was well known in the area for being a nosey so and so that stuck his nose into everyone's affairs and carried gossip around all the houses he went to. Told people things like "I see Jim Smith got a letter from the inland revenue. He must owe tax."

My Granny sent a postcard while on a trip Manchester and put at the bottom shelf put "P.S. Hello to you too Pat as I know you'll read this anyway!"

tyred

Legendary Member
Another good postcard story is the series of postcards sent to my parents by a friend of my Dad's from his honeymoon in the early '70s.

With very little money, they headed of touring in a completely knackered Ford 100E Prefect and the postcards are a series of updates on the running repairs carried out, including replacing a head gasket in a hotel carpark and getting a bit of waste 2 X 4 timber from a joiner to keep the rear speing hanger from coming up into the boot floor.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Some time before my mum died in 2021. I used to send a lot of postcards as they were about the only form of communication she could cope with and enjoy. She hated phones and couldn't concentrate long enough for letters.

On trips abroad, getting appropriate stamps was always a high priority task as soon as we arrived.

Top Bottom