When do the clocks change?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Bigtallfatbloke said:
...looking forward to it like a hole in the head....I never know when this happens and it usually catches me out, then I get depressed and hibernate....BUT this year I am determined to be different...I will conquer the darkness ;)
I suffer big-style from this malady. It took me a while to discover that it is a recognised condition called Seasonal Affective Disorder or S.A.D. Last year it caught me out once again and I went in just a few weeks from happily doing 200+ km hilly rides in the Yorkshire Dales to being unable to carry a bag of shopping back the 250 metres from my local market without stopping for a rest.

Eventually, I found a very good book on Amazon which explains all about the condition - Winter Blues. Well worth a read - and hint - read it now before the S.A.D. kicks in - you will struggle to find the energy to do it if you wait!

You need to maximise your exposure to light. Get out at lunchtimes even if it is cold and wet - you need to experience as much natural light as possible.

I also use two 'lightboxes', a home-made one and one that my sister bought me from LIDL or ALDI. I started using the boxes for an hour a day last November and I was back to normal in just over a week. It doesn't work for everyone, but the success rate is very good. You might be lucky and find a bargain lightbox, but normally they are expensive. You could pay £100-£200 which is a bit of a rip-off for what is really just a bright light, but if it stops 4-6 months of your life being ruined every year, surely it is worth it!

You don't conquer the darkness by putting up with it, you do it by eliminating it!

Here's a photo taken last autumn which shows my lightboxes in action - yes, I know my desk is very untidy!

let_there_be_light.jpg

redcogs

Guru
my clock changes constantly - from micro second to microsecond. Isn't this normal?

domtyler

Über Member
That has given me a head ache just looking at it. You could, however, make those lights pay their way by installing a cannabis farm on your desk.

Foska bones reflective frightens commuters round me; Aldi did some great reflective/flashing arm/leg bands last year. First time I wore the full set an overtaking car gave me so much room he almost ended up in the ditch on the opposite side of the road.

According to someone with the inside track at Aldi who posted elsewhere, their next cycle sale is 27 September.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
rich p said:
Blimey O'Reilly, do you have to wear a welders mask at the PC?
Aye, the lights are pretty bright, but that's the idea! The effect works through the eyes, not the skin so wearing a welder's mask or sunglasses would be somewhat counter-productive.

domtyler said:
That has given me a head ache just looking at it.
Actually, it is very easy to over do the 'light therapy'. I made the mistake of using the lights for about 3 hours a day and got completely frazzled - thumping headache and a feeling of being 'wired' as if I'd had about 4 cups of strong coffee. I stick to about a maximum of an hour now and no longer use my DIY box.

Another thing - the object is to replace missing daylight not turn night into day! I find my sleep pattern gets disturbed if I use the box too late in the day. Around noon is best for me.

domtyler said:
You could, however, make those lights pay their way by installing a cannabis farm on your desk.
I tried cannabis therapy when I was younger but it made me feel even more sleepy and lacking in energy than the S.A.D. ;)!

Some articles on S.A.D.

stevenb

I can't believe it's come about already....where has this year gone? ;)

ash68

stevenb I think it's the lack of a decent summer that makes winter seem to come around that much quicker.Rain, rain and more rain,cold winds and dull overcast days,and that was just July. Never mind it'll soon be christmas:biggrin::biggrin:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
domtyler said:
It's ridiculous isn't it? When are they gonna scrap this ridiculous system and streamline us with mainline Europe? BST all year round thanks.

Hear Hear!

I just do not understand the reasons for not doing this...after-all we'd get lighter evenings in the summer rather than all those wasted summer brightness at 5.00am.
Those of us working on a European basis would have 2 hours more contact-time and find travel to meetings a wee bit easier.
I'd vote for almost any political party who would guarantee to make this happen.

stevenb

ash68 said:
stevenb I think it's the lack of a decent summer that makes winter seem to come around that much quicker.Rain, rain and more rain,cold winds and dull overcast days,and that was just July. Never mind it'll soon be christmas:biggrin::biggrin:

Aye, your right there mate. Lowsy UK weather...;)

Top Bottom